I say doula, you say?

What do you think of when you hear the word doula? What is your opinion of doulas?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had one and LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My doula contributed to my labor and birth being a WONDERFUL experience!!!!

I would recommend one to anyone! I wanted a natural labor and birth. She, along with my husband (the doula does NOT replace family members in anyway!!!!!) supported me and helped me throughout my labor.

Doula's do not tell you what to do or make decisions for you. They also do NOT offer medical advise. They simply help you to make an informed decision on various things throughout labor and birth while also supporting you in anyway you need. If that means getting you some cold towels then they do that, if that means rubbing your feet (I GOT THE BEST FOOT MASSAGE EVER FROM MY DOULA DURING MY LABOR!!!!) they do that. If that means running to get you a snank or drink they do....getting their clothes SOAKING wet just so they support you while you stand in the shower..so be it!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• They tend to help women through natural labors but they will also support a women who chooses to have medication such as an epidural. And if you have to have a c-section they will accompany you to the OR if you need and want them there.

They also help with breastfeeding afterwards, take pictures, and do post partum follow ups.

I can NOT STRESS ENOUGH....How WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL of an experience I had with my doula. I had a Hypnobabies birth and she was also a Hypnobabies instructor so she helped me to have a wonderful, amazing and beautiful birth!!!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If you want to
    Reduce your c-section risk from33% to under 5%
    increase breast feeding success
    Have a more comfortable labor and delivery
    Have an extra set of hands post partum
    Have support for your SO/DH who is just as nervous about birth as everyone else
    Reduce interventions
    Have your birth plan followed
    Have one consistent person with you the whole time, even though nurses change shifts, the doula stays with you

Then hire a doula!

They are wonderful helpers and really believe in protecting women

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm from the South (Texas) and while some areas here are still very much anti-natural birthing a lot of areas are making HUGE CHANGES in the attitude towards birthing.

I'm currently in Central Texas and one of the hospitals here is doing HUGE renovations. They are making 2 of their delivery rooms into "Midwife Only" rooms where large birthing tubs, birthing stools, labor bars and slings, squat bars, ambulatory monitors, and much more will be avaliable. These rooms will be given to patients using one of the midwives that delivers at the hospital.

They are also looking at hiring full time doulas to be on staff at the hospital to help mothers and their families through their deliveries when the mother wants one.

miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think:
    Safer outcomes, happier mommies-babies-daddies!

:-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well personally I think they are a great idea!
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Um I have no opinon either way. Never used one. Never wanted one
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I say to each their own, I never found a need for one.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Still a little fuzzy on what they do.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree with Zakysmommy....dont really have an opinion to speak of. If you want one, great....I never have wanted one. I am not comfortable with a stranger telling what and how to do it and rubbing me and such....

I would rather my dh or my mother to help me out.....and my nurse to be my medical knowledge for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2011