how to stop toddler from bitting an pullin hair

mandy1229414

Asked by mandy1229414 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little brother used to do this when he was younger, he was a biter, and omg it got on my nerves soooo much lol. The onlv way we got him to stop was to .... bite back ''/ NOT bite to where it hurts him, but ''gently'' bite him, even if it doesn't hurt, he will act like it does lol .. .kids, dramatic =P
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Good point knicloe0708 when my toddler was little he did the same thing and I did the same to him I did not bite him hard but enough to let him feel what it felt like to be bitten or getting your hair pulled...it was funny and cute he learned quick...lol
    Oh and Mandy1229414 If u do decide to take our advice do not baby him bc u felt u hurt him he will never learn if u run to his rescue let him know u mean business...sorry so cold but hey sometimes u have to do what u have to do to make things work :/
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My DD went thru this stage at about 12-15 months. What I did was I would yell loudly "OUCH" if she bit or hit me. This was intended to startle her. Then I would set her down, say firmly "No biting/hitting" and walk away from her, intended to show that whatever fun we were having would abruptly end and she would not receive my attention if she was going to hit or bite. If she followed after me I would gently ignore her for a minute or so, in other words I was much too preoccupied with whatever I started doing and would not speak to or look at her. Only for a minute though.
    Now that she is older, 2 years, I would give immediate time out for that kind of behavior. Most things get a warning first, like not listening, but hitting and biting get instant time out. She doesn't do it anymore though, it was really a short phase that only lasted a month or two. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i worked in child care with children ages 18mo-36mo, when every we had a bitter we always focused on teaching the child to use there words. Teach your child feeling words and need words such as mine turn, milk, bed, hurt, scarred, tired...... your child is using biting to get your attention, show him there are other (more effective) ways to get what he needs from you or others.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011