My 2 year old is afraid of the potty.

The other night I caught dd in the act so I put her on the potty and she went # 2. I gave her a lot of praise, but she looked totally horrified. Now she doesn't want to sit on the potty anymore :( This never happened when she went pee on the potty. Help! What do I do now?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 11:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL! That is so funny. Let her watch you on the potty and show her how much fun it is.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Big people potty? Is it cold?

We have a Babybjorn potty which is alway positive. Big people toilet not so much. And the singing potty grandma got was an epic failure.

Do you think she may have been startled since you got her in the middle of pooping?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• OMG.. I totally freaked my son out at 20 months old when I got OVER excited for him.. he looked at me like WTF? and he wouldn't go on it for 2 months.. some kids love the over excitement, my son is more serious so just a high five or a potty sucker got him going!! give it a break for 2 months, then retry with simple praises and rewards. I also know I had to find the perfect potty for him- he didn't like the little potty on the ground and wouldn't use it, the first toilet seat we bought was too hard and he wouldn't poop in it so we had to get an extra cushioned one and it made all the difference.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• could it be that she is some what conspated? ds gives what he says is dinosaur poop. he would freak out when he was learning how to go. so i would sit with him holding hands and making jokes. sometimes we would let the shower run and just distract him while he was sitting there
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 12:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It was a little potty, which she really likes. I also have a potty seat for the big potty that is really cushioned and she doesn't really like it.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Just wait it out and she will come around. My kids both like absolute privacy when pooping. Maybe she needs reassured that you will leave her alone if she wants to try again. Hang in there!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011