How can we teach our twins to get themselves back to sleep?

We have 14-month-old twins. They get to sleep easily at night and take good naps. There just always comes a point in the night between midnight and 4:00 when one and/or both wake up and a simple pacifier replacement will not work to get them back to sleep. They share a bedroom, so "sleep training", i.e., letting them cry it out a couple nights, doesn't exactly work, as they wake each other up. Once you get two babies crying, no one is going to go to sleep. Also, the one time we tried it with our son, he simply escalated and then was completely freaked out, not to mention wide awake. Right now, I'll take one baby to one bed, and my husband takes the other, when they wake up, to the guest room. Now we're all sleeping more, but if my husband needed to go out of town for work, I'd be SOL. Two babies do not fit in our bed! We've tried rocking them back to sleep and then putting them in their cribs, but they wake up in an hour or two and we wind up rocking babies all night. Any ideas?

HeatherD1028

Asked by HeatherD1028 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• id let them cry if it were me.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Mine do the same thing and I have the horrible solution of giving them a bottle, which works. I am currently trying to wean them off of their bottles and have read that sometimes they are just thirsty and to try and give them a drink of water. I am going to try, what could it hurt?
    twinmom716

Answer by twinmom716 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011