Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can my ex hold this against me? in court.. or to keep my kid from me

I do have these symptoms:
• Feeling hopeless, sad, or empty.
• Irritability
• Inability to experience pleasure
• Fatigue or loss of energy
• Physical and mental sluggishness
• Appetite or weight changes
• Sleep problems
• Concentration and memory problems
• Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
• Thoughts of death or suicide

I have had them for years there the symptoms of bio-polar.. I started seeing a counselor & think I may try st. john wort.. but I am terrified to let my doctor know cause my ex may find out I don't want to lose my kids. its weird they say its not hereditary but my aunt has it, my mom has the symptoms.. I have custody of my 7 & 3 yr old.. my 12 yr from another ex lives with dad & I visit we have joint custody.

 I don't have all the symptoms of mania only these ones: Talking so rapidly that others can’t keep up Racing thoughts; jumping quickly from one idea to the next, Highly distractible, unable to concentrate

I am stable as I have never hurt anyone I put myself in time-out when feeling overwhelmed.I have never been diagnosed as I hide my symptoms very well no one suspects anything.. I would never tell my ex or my lawyer as I don't trust either however would like to tell my counselor.. & maybe my doctor.. I have passed a physiologist evaluation as I know what they wanted to hear.. so I can bet a million none in court will find out.. as I am done with court for my 7 & 3 yr. old.. my ex doesn't want them nor can he care for them. its my ex of my 12 that I worry about he has been trying to keep my kid from me for years.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (18)
  • Umm, if you're getting the correct medical treatment...and your doctor says you're fine, then there's nothing your ex can do.

    Also, not to mention, he shouldn't find out unless you tell him, there is something called HIPPA.

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Yes I would think so..... exactly the reason you should tell your doc so that you can get help and prove that you are trying to be the best mommy that you can be!

    Answer by Charis76 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • That can also be the symptoms of unipolar depression as well as other mental disorders. If you get treatment, there's nothing the court can do about it. But if you don't get treatment and harm your ids because of it, yes he can do something.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • First, the doctor is not allowed to tell anyone. perks of doctor patient privelige.

    Second, you are seeking treatment. Even if the ex brings it up, you can prove that you are getting help.

    Third, there are many moms who have bi-polar that are single that are caring for their children just fine.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Well for one talk to your dr. Get proper treatment. Just because bi-polar runs in your family it doesn't mean you have it. You may have a simple case of depression. Either way get the necessary treatments to be a healthier you.
    I don't know what your state will say but I am sure that your dr had a confidentiality agreement. However if you are a danger to your children then it would be better for them to be with a more stable parent. You sound like your taking the right steps and never fear being open and honest with your health care provider. They need to know to treat you.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Yes, he can!

    Answer by dancer at 11:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Yes he can.

    Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Get treatment and there will be nothing he can do. My ex tried to use the fact that I'm on meds for anxiety against me and the judge laughed at him.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 11:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Your doctor isn't allowed to tell your husband anything about you, unless it is court ordered and it takes a lot to get that order. If he does find out and you have been diagnosised as being bipolar and having depression and you aren't treating it properly, then yes he could use it against you. But as long as you are seeking treatment you should be just fine

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Yes, he can use it against you. However, you are more likely to continue to have custody if you are getting proper treatment for these symptoms. If you ignore them, hide them from your lawyer, or refuse treatment you are at great risk of losing your children should that come to a head. However, if you get treatment, are honest about them to your lawyer, and continue to improve then you are seen as coopertive to the court. There are certain disorders that they don't see as a threat as long as you're getting treatment for them. Treatment given by a doctor who you have seen and have been properly diagnosed from.

    Now, as far as the symptoms being hereditary. It could be that it isn't what you were diagnosed with at all. It could be you were misdiagnosed. As well, many people in a family can share symptoms, but it not be hereditary. It's just the genes in your body are triggered.. But not passed down.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011