ParaGard ? need advise from moms who have had one put in!!!

Am 37 weeks pregnant now, and my doctor started asking me what kind of birth control i am looking at, for after my baby is born. Well am planning on breastfeeding my daughter as i have with my other kids. so my doctor asked me if I have heard of paragard? I am worried that it might effect my breastfeeding? and i have heard that it causes heavy bleeding, and cramping, and makes you have longer periods? My questions is what was or is your expierence with the paragard? like/dislike it? tell me all about your expierence

ashcrash

Asked by ashcrash at 11:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• Non-hormonal so it won't impact your breastfeeding.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well when I first put it in I had much heavier menstrual cycles. But now not so much. I have always had very light periods. So it was a huge difference. My daughter has just gotten this form of b.c. too and she already has heavy periods. The dr. told her she wouldn't notice such a big difference then.
    The thing is most of the problems are for the first few months. I got my first IUD when my baby (who is 17) now was born. I nursed her for a year just like my other two kids. I had no problems. I am happy with it. I am 47 now and it saved me from hormones.
    Let me know if you need any more information. Good luck with the birth of your baby.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have it...I love it. It lasts for 10 years...you can have it taken out at any given time. I like it because it's hormone free It's not for everyone but in 7 years, I'm having another put in.
    There are always risks with anything, so I suggest you brush up on them.

My period goes about 5 days, first 2 days is spotting, next 2 days is heavy, last day is spotting. I do not have cramps, my neighbor also has it and it does the same thing with her.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• it is non-hormonal, so it's good for breastfeeding. But, it does make you have heavier periods. I'm not sure if you'll get worse cramps, i think that depends on the individual.

Anything with hormones though will lessen your milk supply, although it varies. I got on birth control 8 months after i gave birth & i was still breastfeeding. My milk did lessen, but not enough that i had to stop breastfeeding.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thank you for asking this. I am too looking into an IUD after I give birth to my son. (Hopefully soon) I am glad that this option is out there, because I have heard some SCARY (from CM members too) feedback about Mirena. So bad that I don't even want to attempt to chance my body with that IUD. I've heard very good feedback about Paragard so far and think I've decided on getting it. I definately want something that'll last me 5-10 years, so that I don't have to worry about pregnancy at all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I had the Paragard placed after my second child and she's almost 19 months now. My cycles were always light, spotty and infrequent. But now I expect normal cycles, monthly and moderately heavy. Cramps haven't been any different, except now I see them monthly. I did a lot of research that scared the crap out of me before I got this. I think it depends on the person. For some it's great, others not so great. I'm in the it's great department.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011