DH is taking the dog to the vet tonight....

We have a 9 yr old Golden who has not eaten in 3 days...soooo not like him and we think he iis having hip pain...we were told that these dogs are prone to hip displasia. Worried!!!! Anyone go through this??? what do ya think he is favoring his back legs as well. Wondering if that is what it is then how long can he live? what should we do???? The dog is thebest we have had ( and the only one DH and I have had together) and the kids best friend! DH is taking the dog by himself just in case it is not good news....

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 12:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pets

• Oh honey, our furbabies become such a big part of our family. I'm so sorry. He could just have arthritis which is treatable and even small degrees of dysplasia is treatable, try not to freak out too much, although I know it's hard. Please let me know what the vet said. I've gone through hell with my fur babies this year, had to put our 15 year old cat to sleep and our Shepherd and other cat both got very ill, but they are fine now. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• So sorry! Hope for good news for you.
    deccaf

Answer by deccaf at 12:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sorry. Hope you hear some good news from the vet. Pets can are just like part of the family. It's hard when we know they are sick or in pain.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I hope that you get good news. So sad to think about. I am so sorry you are going through this.
    Meganmegs2

Answer by Meganmegs2 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2084&aid=444

Here is an article on Hip Dysplasia. There are varying degrees and different levels of severity. All but the most severe can be treated with meds that aren't too expensive. The most severe cases do require surgery and even that isn't 100 percent...

He may be in a lot of pain and that is why he hasn't eaten...his tummy could be upset. Try to boil up some rice and hamburger and offer that to him (once it's cooled down of course). Rice is gentle on the tummy so he might be up to eating that.

Make sure you write a list of questions to ask the vet..or rather for your husband to ask the vet.

Retrievers are known for dysplasia....especially if they come from a pet store, or a breeder that isn't careful with their breeding lines.

Good Luck!
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Wee too have goldens we have one female she is 8 yrs. old and a male he is 6 yrs. old she is golden and he is reddish...no problems thank god but please do let us know what the vet said...I pray your baby get better and try giving him something other than the same old same maybe he'll snap out of it...God Bless ur family...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• So sorry and good luck. we had a 11 yo lab until june 2010 and she started having hip and joint issues at 7...i began supplementing her with glucosamine and chondortin pills and it helped a lot. i used Cosequin for a while but it was more expensive. talk to vet they may suggest rimadyl for pain and it helped but it cost so much we could not afford it daily so i switched to bufferin as needed for pain and it made a huge difference. i hope the vet has some good news. we dealt with hip/joint issues for 4 years and it really was so much better after a few weeks of supplements.
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Our dog, she passed back in June, had to have both ACL's repaired. Her joints were pretty much shot after that. Add to that the meds she was on for seizures and heart failure, and the poor thing was really sore and weak. Our vet suggested starting her on Dasuquin, it really helped. We noticed a difference in her mobility and activity level in about a week. It may be something to ask your vet about.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:54 AM on Jan. 7, 2011