Correcting others while making the same mistake

I have caught this twice! Some correcting the OP's grammer and then while correcting makes the same grammatical error.

On both occasions I commented on it and today I did and receive thumbs down..booo!! lol. I dont care I receive thumbs down but why do you feel the need to correct someones little error when the question is understood...

Does this bother people as much as grammer bothers some here?

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• who cares about grammar if you can understand what the person is trying to say.
    deesam

Answer by deesam at 7:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I admit that grammar and spelling are important to me, but I choose not to call it out. I feel like it's pretty snotty to do so because it seems designed just to shame people. I get thumbs down occasionally and I wonder what a person could possibly have found fault with. Like, yesterday I said it was barbaric that children should be allowed to go hungry or uneducated and without adequate access to health care. What part of that statement is unacceptable to someone? Weirdos...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i honestly dont see why little grammatical errors bother some on here. we're not sending these comments to the White House or writing some formal essay. what i cant stand though is "text talking" and not being able to understand a word said. "y am i not gettin thru 2 u when i tlk 2 u plz answer me thx" like WTF? that's what bothers me. but not putting a comma or ending sentences with a period or whatever doesn't bother me. i don't correct people on their errors and for the text-talking kind of questions.. i just go to the next question so i dont say anything ill regret later.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The only time the grammar really bothers me is when it is so bad I can't understand it. When that is the case, I just go on to the next instead of complaining about it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Ha! Ha! Yeah, I've noticed this a few times myself but I don't say anything, just laugh. I mean I don't always write everything perfectly right so why would I pick at someone else.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Unless someone is asking a question about grammar (and how often does that happen?) then I think it's rude to correct them. People typically seem to come here for advice and information, correcting someone's grammar just seems petty and condescending. Not everyone is a good speller or did well in English classes but it doesn't mean they aren't entitled to some common courtesy. And everyone has typos now and then, too. If I was retyping in my answer something that an OP had spelled wrong or misused then I would correct it in my reponse but I wouldn't point it out directly.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I see it too but do not say anything. When correcting someone it seems like you really just open the door for others to correct or judge you...
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011