formula

difference between gerber vrs name brands like Target, Giant, Babiesrus...

ohhowilovemyson

Asked by ohhowilovemyson at 12:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The price
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Probably just price. When my kids were babies we didnt' have all the choices that there are now. If you are unsure, look at the ingrediants OR ask your peditrician
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Formula has a list of nutritional standards that it must meet according to the FDA. But new claims like probiotics or gentle for the stomach, those claims do not have to be verified before the product goes to market. Formula is not as regulated as we would like to think.

There is very little difference between formulas. They are required to meet a minimum on fat, calories, protein, and vitamins. After that, there is no regulatory measure distinguishing one product from the other.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The differences lie in the percentage of different proteins (whey, casein, etc...) and then kind of fats and sugars. Dr Sears has a comparison of all the name brands on his site, but I don't know which store brands mimic which name brands.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• mostly price. As another PP mentioned their are specific standards that have to be met so their can't be one that is not nutritionally sound.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I thought there could be no difference, too. I was using Nestle Good Start (it may be Gerber Good Start now) and tried the similar Target store brand. Well, DD had projectile vomit both times I tried it. Turns out that the Good Start was the only one made with only whey protein, rather than with casein protein (both are proteins that occur in milk). DD is allergic to casein protein, as I found out the hard way. Anyway, for most kids this wouldn't be a problem but it sure was for my DD. If you switch I would recommend only adding one scoop of the new formula and mixing it with the formula you had been using to make sure it doesn't cause problems, then gradually increase the amount of new formula.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011