How can I get my son to gain some weight?

He is currently on pediasure but as soon as he goes off of it he loses the weight! He eats a variety of foods including fruits & veggies! My daughter has always been tiny 10% for everything since birth, my son was in the 50% for the first 19 months of life now at 21 months he fell to the 5% and I am very worried....I was hoping some one had a similar experience!

TAY-NATESMOM

Asked by TAY-NATESMOM at 7:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son stays below the 5% for his age, he is almost 23 months. We see a GI doctor every three months because he has a lot of GI problems. But they put him on pediasure as well, and when he drank that he wouldnt eat anything so I took him off the pediasure and changed his diet all together. He doesnt really eat any meat at all, and he is lactose and tolerant so he gets a lot of soy things, but i also changed his diet to having no gluten in it, and since then he has gained about 4 pounds in two months. It is expensive and some of the foods dont tate that great, but he loves it, and it helped him!
    mommabrat787

Answer by mommabrat787 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sometimes, a child might have an allergy to food that would not allow his body to absorb the nutrients he needs to grow. Check out celiac disease at www.medlineplus.com. This is just to give you an example of how food can cause problems. I am no doctor and I do not mean to scare you. My son is below the 5% mark on his growth and weight and was tested for celiac. He doesn't have it and we think that it might be that it is genetic.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 10:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2008