How do you get a 2 year old to eat?

I have been having a terrible time getting my 2 year old to eat. Breakfast is the worst. I usually wait for him to sy he is hungry. I let him pick whether it's oatmeal, cereal, toast, etc. I let him pick which kind, which bowl, which spoon. I eat the same thing as him almost always. Then he will take a couple bites and say he's full, or it's yucky, or he needs to pee. I try to get him to eat a few more bites before getting down. If he has something like toast he'll generally finish it by lunch, but I hate lletting him graze all morning. Letting him get down without eating results in a really bad mood or him constantly asking to eat junk food (which I do not allow when he hasn't eaten well, and only in moderation other times). Advice, tips, suggestions?????

bugfin

Asked by bugfin at 12:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was a big time grazer. I would try to not let her do that at around age 2. But I didn't really push the issue till she was 3. At tha age, if she didn't eat what was given, she went hungry till the next meal. Alot of it depends on your 2 year old, he could just be trying to exert some control and if that's the case you can tell him that if he doesn't eat so many bites then he doesn't get anything till lunch/dinner whatever. We can't force our children to eat but we can make sure they understand the consequences of wasting food. Also try putting much smaller portions in front of him. Sometimes that helps too, it's less intimidating :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• sorry, My 2 year old GIRL out eats my hubby! Now my 3 year old..... =(
    we do not let the kids munch all day. we use to but I couldn't keep brushing their teeth every 5 seconds. If they don't eat at the table at a set time, they don't eat until the next meal. End of story. They will not starve to death. ( I do bend when they say they are hungry at 9pm, we have a snack and go to bed full). Really it won't hurt him to learn that meal times are set and he can play around all he wants but he's not getting anything else.
    Good luck!
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 12:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• He barely gets any junk food. If he eats a big meal and wants a couple m&ms he gets them. I'm not giving him a gallon of ice cream or anything like that. He's not a picky eater overall, he is picky if he eats at all. Breakfast is really the worst meal for him as a rule.
    bugfin

Comment by bugfin (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Allow him to graze on healthy snacks for breakfast instead of sitting him at the table. My daughter loves fresh fruit while she is on the go in the mornings. Toast bites and fruit on a plate while she is playing and breakfast isnt a struggle. Lunch and dinner are always at the highchair though.....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 4:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011