what am I supposed to to about this behavior?

My child is almost 2 yrs old. I know I'm not supposed to expect much from him, but if he doesn't get attention or sees me doing something else besides playing or policing him he'll grab and mess around get himself hurt etc . Is it too early to have time outs? Any suggestions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• no its not.. with my son who is almost 3. i have a timeout chair and it works. he dont wanna sit in, so be dont act out....
    niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 12:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think it's too early to give him time outs. I would rather try too early than too late.
    Anonymous

• I started time outs with my son at 18 months,. he needs to know by you showing him over and over and over what is ok and what is not ok - hurting themselves is also how they learn, of course make sure nothing in your house or area is a safety concern, but consistency is key for this age.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It is definately time for some time outs. The general rule is 1 minute per age. With my son, who is 27mo, I explain why he is in time out, let him sit alone for 2 minutes, and then explain again. Sometimes he sits and screams, sometimes he talks, and sometime he sits there. If he gets down the clock starts again. If he gets down and starts playing with a toy it gets to go to time out for awhile.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 12:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Not too early for a timeout!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Time outs are imperative as far as I am concerned. You have to "nip" this behavior now or else face a rebellious child later. Ask me how I know......been there and done that. Now I have an out of control 10 year old who never learned proper boundaries.
    disposablemom

Answer by disposablemom at 12:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Definitely time to try time out. I use the SuperNanny technique pretty much verbatim and it really has worked for my daughter. Most times now she only needs the warning. I also give her choices- like you can walk to your room for nap or I will carry you, which do you choose? or I tell her she can do clean up or get a time out and let her choose. She rarely chooses time out but it has happened- in which case she still has to help clean up after the time out. The most important part for me has been developing an exact way to do it (warning, time out, coming back for explanation and apology) and sticking to it- it's the same script every time more or less. It requires some patience at first, you may give time outs for the same things all day or have to put him back in the time out spots ten times at first, but he'll catch on quickly if you stick to it and keep yourself calm. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• my son is 4 and his time outs work as of now but i have a feeling not for long because hes starting to laugh at me!
    kris8525

Answer by kris8525 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011