Have you ever been critisized for your Christianity? Please share.

My FIL makes fun of me for being a Christian. I try not to push my beliefs on others, but I am proud and do not hide the fact that I am. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Share your story.

INmommyof1

Asked by INmommyof1 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My husband and I are the only Catholics out of both of our families. They criticize it, yet I don't think they have the right to. They don't know it, yet they criticize us for it.
    Anonymous

• All the time. By other Christians who have decided that my belief in God and in Jesus Christ are somehow not Christian.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• only by my husband, but hes the only person i really try to push it on. i just dont want to go to Heaven without him (but i will if i have to)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• When I became a Christian at 16 my mom was horrified. Her first reaction was to say "OH GOD! You're not one of THEM are you???!!!" She was convinced I was brainwashed, wouldn't allow me to be baptized. I can't remember exact comments, but she basically told me belief in God was only for weak or stupid people. It went on and on for years. She doesn't say much about it now, I guess she's come to accept it. She does complain to me when she finds out some guy she wants to date calls himself a Christian, or believes in God. And she will comment to me, when we're out together if she sees some person who she thinks looks like a "born again Christian" like it's the most disgusting thing she has ever seen, as if you could even tell by looking at a person. I also lost most of my friends when I became a Christian. And although it wasn't directed at me, heard a lot of "Christian bashing" in some college classes. Thier words, not mine.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• When I was a Christian I got it all the time.

I let it slide cuz I was taught thats just how it was and you shouldnt let you feel bad or deter you from how you lived your life. Just be a good example of your beliefs and ignore the rest.

Thats still how I do it. I dont let those that believe Im deceived or any of that stuff get to me. I live my beliefs and could give two tinkers toots what anyone else thinks.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• For example, in one class a particular student said "I don't want to Christian bash, but ..." and another student interupted and said "Oh I'll Christian bash!" And started ranting about Christians and how hypocrital, terrible, stupid, etc etc. they were. I've had a 1st day of class conversation about what music everyone likes turn into making fun of Christian music. I had one teacher make a comment that he wanted to believe in God, but wasn't creative or imaginative enough. He was a nice guy, it's not like these were mean people. But yes, I've heard a lot. Most not directed at me, because I'm very quiet and shy and people probably didn't know I was a Christian, but it hurt to hear anyway.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes. My uncle and cousins, my sister-in-law and her husband, they all thought we were basically satan worshipers for being Catholic. My uncle tried to tell me all the time that the pope was the devil and that I need to stop worshiping him and come to Christ. That man is no longer a part of my life...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yes, quite often. Usually it is by my fellow Chrisitians who believe that I've been brainwashed or feel bad for my kids because i "deprive" them of a few holidays a year even though my kids are clearly happy, loved and well taken cared of. I also get a lot of that I'm not Christian because they think that I dont believe in Christ, which we do, he did died for our sins.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Nope not at all
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• not IRL.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011