As a public school parent...

do you ever take a look at your state's standards and compare them to what your child is really learning? When we started homeschooling I was surprised to find that it's part of our state standards for foreign language to be included all through elementary school. Our school system claims that teaching English as a second language is how they are meeting those requirements! And, only one of our four elementary schools offers ESL. Not trying to knock the public school moms, just wanting to know if you check up on your school system.

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 12:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Do I check on the school system as a whole?? No way. But I do keep very tight tabs on what my children are learning and how they are doing. OUr school district has a LOT of schools and charter school choices, so we are fortuneate. I've been able to pretty much decide what and how my children learn. My son is visually disabled so he has an IEP, so that's been great. Our daughter has been at a charter school since 3rd grade, she's now in 6th and hub and I have decided to put her in a Math/Science magnet school for 7th and 8th and when she's ready for high school i'm probably putting her in a charter that is art/drama magnet. LIke I said we are lucky here, we have a lot of choices because homeschool has never been an option for us
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't like our public school curriculum. It is open for review and change every year which in theory makes it better every year but it also leaves huge room for gaps in education. If they change what is being taught in 2nd grade to it being taught in 1st grade instead then there is a group of children missing that lesson completely. It is also changed and reviewed by teachers, parents and the school board rather than just choosing one set curriculum that was built by one person to ensure easy transition from one grade to the next. I truly wish I could home school but I just don't have the patients.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, and I also help my kids with their homework. My 5th grader made the spelling bee and his word study list included things like schadenfraude. His school offers TWI (two- way immersion) classes where English-speakers take all their classes in Spanish and Spanish speakers take all their classes in English. They started teaching him basic algebra two years ago and his science classes include geology, oceanography, biology and basic chemistry.

My middle schooler is in 7th grade and is studying algebra and GATE-level English and Social Studies (he know more about Chinese dynasties and the Ottoman Empire than most adults.)

Both schools are CA high performing schools and both my kids are GATE-certified (GATE = Gifted and Talented Education, which acccepts kids in the top 1-2 percentile of intelligence for their age group.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Ah, well, it may not be entirely fair for me to answer here. I did always check the state standards, and found a few disturbing things over the years. My oldest went all the way through public school, and I always supplemented what he learned.... I didn't know homeschooling was legal then. My younger 2 boys were in public school. I removed them and homeschooled for a few years, then later my middle son chose to go back to public school, and the younger one chose to be homeschooled. Whether your child is homeschooled, in public school, or in private school, it's important for parents to know what their kids should be learning, and to supplement and enrich their education in appropriate ways.

I agree it is interesting how schools justify their educational programs!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm in Clark County, Nevada, which is one of the biggest and worst school systems in the country, overall. As far as the education that my children are getting though, they are thriving and I am very happy. In Clark County, there are fabulous schools within a mile or two of horrible schools. You really have to do your research before picking a place to move! When I was house hunting, I took a map of the school system and marked out every place I was unwilling to house hunt. I picked the schools before I picked the neighborhood and house. It was really the only way to ensure that my children would be in a good school.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• That's great geminilove - our GATE programs were cut so that our school system could provide art and Spanish to all students. That program was cut after one year and that was so that the ESL teacher and aids could be hired for a single elementary school. I love the GATE program (I was in it as a child and my older daughter got to be in it for a year before they cut it) and see it as so beneficial for kids.

JulieJacobKyle - we have four elementary schools and where you live no longer determines which school your kids go to, it's just where they want to send them. You can live a block from one school and be sent across town to another because that is where there is an opening at your child's grade level. Buses pick kids up all over town, take them to the hub and then the kid gets onto the bus that will take them to their school. It's a mess.

scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• scoutmom, that's so crazy! Where I'm at, we have sister schools. If you live on the even side of the street, you go to one school. If you live on the odd side, you go to the one next door. They're both great schools, but I like our administration staff better. I live about 0.8 of a mile from the school.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011