What do you do with your newborn when he/she is not sleeping during the day?

I'm a first time mom, and my 1 month old is up most of the day, I've sing and read to him all the time. Wondering what you guys are doing to entertain the little one all day long? I'm trying to get him to look at me and smile, any suggestions?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to hold her all day. I had a pretty rockin sling. She stayed close to me 24/7, that's how i liked it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• When my daughter was that small. I could sit and smile at her all day. I would sing, look at her feed her. Get some housework done and just let her lay there observing.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well the majority of the time they were awake I was breastfeeding, LOL, but I would read to them, even though they don't understand, it's been proven that reading to babies helps them build their vocabulary when they are a toddler. I also would sit them in their bouncy chair and sit beside it and play sing a long DVD's, and sing along with them.
    INmommyof1

Answer by INmommyof1 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I had a seat that he would hang out with me in. Whatever room I was in he was as well - we "talked" all the time :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I wore her in a Moby wrap and did things around the house, went for walks when the weather was good, I took her a lot of places actually. With her tied to me up high, I could have plenty of eye contact and she could see what was going on.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011