Can this NOT be the PARENTS fault???

This is long and complicated, but I am going to simplify the best I can. First off I want you to understand that I am only looking for a way to put the blame on the DADDY, not justify anything or get out of anything.
I have an 18 y/o son who still lives at home and is a senior in high school. When he was 15 he moved in with his Daddy. Anyway, over the summer his Daddy got his this vehicle and gave him a bill of sale which I am confused about. My son got pulled over and the bill of sale was out of date and there was no insurance on the vehicle. My son, being an 18 y/o probably was NOT aware of this. Anyway, his Daddy had written the bill of sale from my understanding and changed the date by scribbling it out and writing another. My son is clueless to this stuff. He only knows what his Daddy tells him and believes every word of it. Needless to say the judge did NOT like the bill of sale and said he had to have $187 by next Friday so he calls me for the money because...well...no need to go into all that. My thing is.....Is his Daddy NOT responsible for this? I know my son s 18, but his Daddy put him in this non insured vehicle with the bogus bill of sale and now my son is the one in trouble for it. He had no idea the vehicle had no insurance, to my knowledge and I KNOW he knows NOTHING about a bill of sale. His Daddy makes him come pick up his sister and everything else. What is he suppose to do when his Daddy makes him do this all the time? What kid in their teens still living at home with Mommy and Daddy is going to think to ask...is my car insured??? Most assume it is and everything is o.k. Any ideas here?? I know it's crazy and it has me so mad!!! I have thought about paying it and then suing their Daddy for my money back because I don't live like that and I would NEVER put my child in an unsafe, legal vehicle. My daughter just turned 16 and she will not drive a vehicle until she is licensed and insured....Why would I want to get her in trouble?? I just don't understand people and their ways.

Update: How do you check on these things? I got onto my son too. He is 18 and knew this was coming up and will NOT get a job. I don't see how me NOT living in THEIR home that I can know what they are doing or MAKE them do it.

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 12:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it was very wrong for his father to do this. it SHOULD BE the fathers responsibility.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• HE got him the vehicle,,and messed up the bill of sale. So. yes I would say it would be on him. I do blame you though for not checking and rechecking up on these things. Men can be as bad as kids sometimes.
    Anonymous

• In the eyes of the law, if you are going to take on the adult responsibility of driving, then you MUST take on the responsibility of knowing the car is insured. NOBODY is to get in a car without knowing that current insurance varification is in the car somewhere, glovebox, console, whatever. This includes ANYBODY 16+ that drives. NOBODY is excluded, age or otherwise. This is covered numerous times in drivers' ed and in the manuals for those who were home taught. Although Dad altered the BOS & didn't insure the car, you had the ability to make sure the car had all the proper documentation. He's had this car since last summer. Why wouldn't you make sure it was covered properly - if for nothing else, you're own child's wlefare?
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's NEITHER parents' responsibility. It's your son's and ONLY your son's. He's a legal adult. As soon as the sale was done, he was supposed to register the vehicle and get it insured. If he doesn't understand things like registration and insurance, then he's not ready for the responsibility of an automobile.

Dad was wrong, yes. But it's not his responbsibility. Sorry. The RIGHT THING would be for him to help out. But it's going on your son's record, no one else's

Answer by gdiamante at 1:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It is my opinion that there is enough blame to go around here. It is irresponsible that his father would do that, yes. However, as you said son is 18. And yes, 18 yr olds have alot to learn about life, but that is where BOTH parents come in. I understand that it sucks that this happened but you seem to be doing what may be part of the problem and that is finding blame so that NONE of it is your sons responsibility. Your son did go through a driving course and part of that is learning the laws so I am sure he had some idea of what he needed. Your question about what teen living at home thinks to ask "mommy and daddy" is MY car insured says alot. Sorry but that is my opinion. Everyone needs to take their share of responsibility in this.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011