What has most influenced your political stands and viewpoints?

2boys4momma

Asked by 2boys4momma at 1:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I was raised in the military, and most of the men in our family going back as far as our history have served in the armed forces. I think that colored my early views on politics, although my father is an Independent, and my mom is a Democrat (as is most of her immediate family). I considered myself a Republican before I was old enough to vote. When I was in college I took a lot of PoliSci classes, which confirmed my belief that I "sided" with the right party for me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Having been a student of history primarily. My dad was a republican, my mom is a democrat. She is waking up at 92 to the fact that her party has been hijacked.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• logic
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Logic. Common Sense. Personal Responsibility.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Living in the real world-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I live in the real world. I am logical, and could really careless what other people do with their lives, and I also believe the world is far from black and white, there are many shades of gray. Hence, why I am a Independent liberal. Republicans seem too consumed with other people's lives, uterus, and marriages.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Life.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• my military upbringing and my dad's love for US History (which is now my love) play a big part. but the largest reason im an Independent is from witnessing the stupid-ass comments and so called logic from both sides. being reminded constantly how the division of the 2 parties is causing more strife than balance also helps.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Ditto Not & Grly
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Personal beliefs and personal interests. I dont think anyone votes for someone if they cant relate to them in some way. I was raised in an affluent Christian family so my values and beliefs come from that and I tend to find myself staying around people with the same backgrounds and interests and tend to vote the same.

Answer by gemgem at 2:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011