My baby boy (8) drew a picture because he was angry, he drew someone shooting him. Is this normal?

He says he wants someone to shoot him because he is stupid. I never tell him that he's stupid but his grades are poor.

jlpat9

Asked by jlpat9 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would seak help for him asap. Thats not healthy or a good sighn. I know that when i my son who is 6 nearly 7 lostj his grandfather he went through the same thing. we have him in counceling it seems to be helping. He may need someone he can talk to who is nuteral. Get him help fast
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Sounds like maybe he's watching something on tv he shouldn't be watching. This isn't normal unless he's seen it on tv, which is very likely. Talk to him and ask him where he saw that. And definitely tell him he is NOT stupid! But I'm sure you already did that.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 7:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I don't think that is too normal. I would try to get to the bottom or it and see what and who is bothering him. Thats just creepy.
    Anonymous

• The truth is as a former preschool director and educator and art expert for children, I would tell you that is is an excellent thing that he is doing. Art is a wonderful way to vent and to express emotions that kids cant express verbally. the more he expresses his feeling through art no matter how violent the better he will be able to deal with it. Encourage him to draw alot and you may even want to get him some wet, gray clay that he can pound on to get out his frustrations. You may also want to get some help for him in his schoolwork because when children do better in school they feel better about themselves.
    noncraftsmom

Answer by noncraftsmom at 1:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• My sister was a depressed child and my mom had her see the school help resourse and never interfered with it. My mom never asked questions and it really helped my sister out from wanting to die as a little girl. I would find someone he can feel comfortable speaking with. I wish you and your family the best of luck. Remember it won't change overnight, so please be patient with him.
    FairyAndAngel

Answer by FairyAndAngel at 1:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2008