Is this a legal requirement in order to get their jail time reduced?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110106/ap_on_re_us/us_sisters_released_kidney;_ylt=AoMwGAnDuvT.qe9Q1_BvYs9H2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTN0bGluZDg3BGFzc2V0Ay9zL2FwLzIwMTEwMTA2L2FwX29uX3JlX3VzL3VzX3Npc3RlcnNfcmVsZWFzZWRfa2lkbmV5BGNjb2RlA21wX2VjXzhfMTAEY3BvcwM1BHBvcwM1BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDZnJpcmVsZWFzZXNl

One sister must donate her Kidney to the other within a year for both their release from prison....they served 16 years of a life sentence

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course not but if you read what you posted you know why it was done.
    PS... old topic
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

•  

Of course not but if you read what you posted you know why it was done.
    PS... old topic

Their release is today, how is that old? It was just announced weeks ago.how is that old? and I know it was done...I'm asking is it legal? and if YOU read you will see that it is bringing up LEGAL and ETHICAL questions

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think it is legal, no. And I think that this is a bandaid on a bunch of issues that doesn't really work.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

He released them because of the racial element..."see, I'm not a racist despite my comments a couple weeks before I announced this...."

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• JJB, thats concerning their amount of time in jail and if they should be released, this is about the requirement of their release
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I responded a long time ago that this was racially motivated. You think my crystal ball doesn't work? You're forgetting I spent years living in MS. We all know Haley in MS all too well.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The women should be locked up for life they are only being released because they are black. Very disgusting.
    Anonymous

• No, they are being released to save the few in MS who DO pay taxes around a quarter mil a year and giving HogjowelHaley a lean away from racism prior to the primaries and his trip to Iowa.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's not a requirement unless the judge (or governor in this case) makes it so. As for legal. Yes it is. Some may not like it for one reason or another but it's completely legal for a Governor to grant clemency for whatever reason he sees fit.
    Besides it's only a requirement in the way it is written up. The girl initiated it as a part of her release.

The idea to donate the kidney was Gladys Scott's, and she volunteered to do it in her petition for early release
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011