If you live in the portland, Oregon area this is for you what do you think about our police are they trigger happy or just doing their job?

other states do you think your police are to violent?

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There is even a website that tracks all of the incidents we have with the police in this city.

http://www.portlandcopwatch.org/

We an unusual amount  of shootings, and deaths in custody. Our new Police Chief has even gone on record stating that our officers need more training in regards to how to deal with mentally ill people, and how to deal in situations without shooting first and  asking questions later.  Not to long ago a suggestion was made in the police department for mental health professionals to travel along with officers on duty in order to instruct/train/teach them how to interact with the public (especially the mentally ill) better.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I live in Downtown Portland.. I have lived in downtown for over 20 years . I grew up in Portland, left for college/Peace Corps, returned here.....

Yes, our Police are trigger happy. Our Mayor also agrees, so do some members of the police department. A survey was conducted around 6-8 months ago, 2-3 months ago, Sam Adams (our Mayor and police commissioner) was on the radio discussing the survey (which I did fill out as well). One of the questions on the survey asked if "you" feared your neighborhood, or being out at night..that sort of thing. The #1 answer amongst those who filled out the survey was this..... Most feared the police in this city over anything else. We have had some crazy incidents. One this past year was a fur protester set himself on fire (idiot.) outside a fur store. The officer responding. Sprayed him with an industrial sized can of mace instead of a fire extinguisher.

Cont.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I live in rockwood and I am just as scared of the police as I am of my neighberhood.
    peace013

Comment by peace013 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think most all police are trigger happy control freaks
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I live about an hour from Portland. I lived in Portland for about a year and I didn't feel safe where I lived but not because of the police. I don't really have an opinion of the police there. I do have an opinion of the police in our little town though. I think we need some in our town that do not spend all their time flirting with teenage girls.
    Anonymous

• I live in Portland. We just moved from North Portland over to the border of Gresham. I would have to say that our police here are trigger happy. It seems that they use deadly force when unnecessary, lately more with the mentally disabled. I can barely remember how many police chiefs we have gone through! But Mike Reese seems to be doing okay, I remember on his first day, he had to deal with a police involved shooting. There was just a protest the other night protesting the behavior of our police department lately after they shot and killed a homeless veteran yeilding a knife.
    Sacheen.T.

Answer by Sacheen.T. at 5:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Doing their job. My uncle was a police man there for 15 yrs and was a great one at that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011