If your offended about the editing of Huck Finn, were you offended that the republicans edited the Constitution on the floor today?

Before the reading began, Democrats questioned the GOP decision not to read sections of the 222-year-old governing document that were later amended, such as the Article I, Section 2 clause that classified slaves as three-fifths of a person for the purpose of congressional apportionment and taxation.

"It's a consequence of who we are," Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr., D-Ill., son of civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, said in reference to the three-fifth's clause and its deletion from the reading.

Rep. Jay Inslee, D-Wash, while saying the reading was "special for all of us," asked whether it was "not intended to create some statement of congressional intent."

Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., who organized the reading, noted that Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., a pioneer of the civil rights movement, has been asked to read the Thirteenth Amendment that abolishes slavery. He said he hoped the event would "inspire many more Americans to read the Constitution."

The recital began with new Speaker John Boehner, reading the "We the People" preamble. Then Boehner's predecessor Nancy Pelosi recited the first paragraph of Article I that describes the powers of the legislative branch.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• under god was added in like 1954. It wasn't originally in there.

I wasn't offended of the editing of Huck Fin, but i do think it's dumb that republicans skipped certain parts of the constitution to their own liking. Had they read it ALL, it would not have agreed with what they were saying.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If your offended about the editing of Huck Finn, were you offended that the republicans edited the Constitution on the floor today?

I was never offended... I believe in Freedom of Speech....  Republicans didn't edit the Consitution.  They did however read the legally amended version with all amendments that are currently part of the Constitution... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Because that section was superseded/deleted from the Constitution, so it was already "edited".
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 1:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Since they were amended, why would I be?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'll correct myself........ it was the cohort congresswomen who left that out but Obama left out "By Our Creator" out of the Declaration of Independence. Pretty much the same offense
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If they had made a point TO read it, and had said they were going to include it because it was the original Constitution, they would have been called rascists and there would be liberal blogs all over the 'net with conspiracies of the Repubs planning on bringing back slavery and giving some people less of a vote. This is the most ridiculous thing ever and I can't believe it's even being talked about.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Whatever, I highly doubt that. There's nothing liberals like proclaiming more than how other people are racists, and they take any opportunity they can to proclaim someone a racist. Liberals aren't very concerned about history, but they are overly concerned about racism.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• OP~ Didn't They read the Constitution as we LEGALLY adhere to, today~ 2011?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• rolling on floorYou are too funny, grly

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• tnmom, you took the words right out of my mouth! LOL
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011