Do you always do tummy time?

I feel bad that I don't do it very often b/c the baby HATES it and it's hard to fit in with an active two year old especially when the baby cries during it b/c HATES it so much. Will this realy effect her development? Have you been in my situation but had your baby stay on schedule with development? She can sit great when propped up but hasn't rolled over yet (four months old). I hope that isn't my fault. :(

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 1:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rolling over milestone timeline is 4-7 months, so no worries there. As long as she gets a TOTAL of about 15 minutes per day, she is getting enough. If it's only 2-3 minutes here and there don't worry. Just make sure she isn't spending all her time on her back, in bouncy seats, and in swings. You can use a Bumbo to help her develop her core muscles, they are pretty amazing if you ask me.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Try putting her on her tummy for little bits at a time and then increase that time when she beings to tolerate it. Maybe place a mirror in front of her or some toys to kind of distract her a bit. GL Mama!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Try when the 2 year old is sleeping. It helps if you have a toy or music going and are sitting there with the baby. My daughter was like this, too. I put her on the boppy on her tummy so she could see and that helped ease her into being on the floor. Just mix it up and eventually it will work.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 1:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Our son did better when he was up high and could still be face to face with us, but of course that requires very close supervision.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I tried with all 4 of mine. Some liked it and some downright hated it. I'd still try the ones who hated it for a minute or so each day.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think mine got a total of 15 minutes, PERIOD. He hated it THAT much that I gave up on it.

However... his nursing time was all on his tummy because of my overactive letdown, and he had pretty good head control VERY early on. My doc never ever mentioned tummy time to me, so apparently there was no distress over it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• my 3 month old hates to b on her tummy to. she whines the old time then she acts like shes going to cry. she hasnt started rolling over yet but she olds her head up and she sits up on her own. hopefully by the end of this month she will like it. i guess shes not ready yet. i dont put her on her tummy er day either.
    1sttimemom853

Answer by 1sttimemom853 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I tried to at least give it a shot most every day. Somedays DD would tolerate it and somedays not. Even if I got a few minutes in I was happy, somedays I probably didn't even get that. She still developed just fine. My DD like to lay chest to chest with myself or her Daddy and that counts as tummy time, too. She liked looking into a mirror as well while on her tummy, or seeing toys that would make noises. Just keep trying but don't force it to the point you are all miserable. The only time I would really start to worry is if baby was getting a flat head, then you would need to talk to the ped asap.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• can someone please tell me what tummy time is?
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 3:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thanks MaryMW. That makes me feel a lot better. I also laid her on my chest a lot but the doctor told me that doesn't count and that she needs to be on a firm surface. I was like wtf! Though a different doc told me that was fine so who knows. She nursed that way all the time due to overactive letdown and likes to lay there (not as much as before) now to hang out. She has great head control and it's nice and round b/c she NEVER wants to lay on her back so she is usually propped up or is held upright. Doctor just gave me a scare b/c she is like if she doesn't roll by next appt, she is behind! :(
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011