carseats

have you used a convertible carseat for a infant? i have one that is 5-35 lbs rear facing and find using a infant seat a waste of money. anyone else feel this way or have used a convertible seat since birth? opinions?

1sttimemom2011

Asked by 1sttimemom2011 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• my 11 month old is in a convertible (rearfacing still) one - she outgrew her infant carseat last month. my older two didn't go to forward facing carseats til the recommended age/weight limits. im not sure that a newborn infant can sit properly in a convertible, will it recline far enough for proper head support? infant carseats barely support a newborn's head as it is - i don't see a convertible doing them any justice.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I guess its ok,but taking out a sleeping newborn and putting them in something else at a store is a pain in the ass

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can get by with the rear facing option but to me, the carrier ones were a life saver. It was like an extra set of hands holding my child when I needed it.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can, although I liked having an infant seat because they are so much more portable. When they are really tiny and sleep more often, it's nice to be able to get around and go in and out of the car without waking them over and over. It's also nice to be able to take them places like the grocery store in their infant seat before they are able to sit up on their own. If you do plan to use a convertible seat only, you might want to plan on getting a front carrier or sling for places like the grocery store.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My son was 6 months when he went into a convertible. Then again that's just becuase he met the height requirement. He was a very tall baby.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i will be using a peanut shell when the baby is not in the carseat. i find the infant seats too big and heavy and hard to get out of a two door car
    1sttimemom2011

Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My only opinion is that you need to make sure it really fits a small baby. When I moved my oldest son to a convertible seat at 6 months old I had a carseat check done and found out that even on the smallest setting the seat was really too big for him. The straps are supposed to be at or below shoulder level when rear facing and they were too high for even a 27 inch long 6 month old. Now I have the Snugride 32 so that my babies can stay in the infant carseat for as long as possible. I guess I'm the opposite of you. I like to be able to move them around in the carseat though, even at almost 20 lbs I still lug my 11 month old son around in it and will keep doing so at least until spring when the weather is warmer, since he doesn't have a coat.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• What convertable do you have? Some of them don't fit newborns well so it depends.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• the graco myride 65
    1sttimemom2011

Comment by 1sttimemom2011 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It depends on the seat and the size of baby. My Ride I believe is a good one, comes with infant insert, BUT be prepared to have to get an infant seat if baby does NOT fit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011