Pre-K question

My son is 4 and is in Pre-K half a day and he knows colors, shapes, can count to 20 (sometimes higher) can say his ABC's and even knows the sounds, BUT at the last parent teacher conference his teacher said he knows all this but he doesn't recognize the letters. Anyone have any ideas of how I can help him? She said if he doesn't improve by the Spring she'll talk more about him being back in Pre-K next year (which I don't want him to but if that is what needs to be done then fine) Thanks in advance!

Mommie-of-2

Asked by Mommie-of-2 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Write them down or use flash cards and practice with him.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Maybe flashcards and having him write them with you going over it would work.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Get some flash cards with the letters on them and sit down and play a game with him with them. some of the flash cards even give you tips and hints on ways to work with your child. Get him a workbook he can play with at home. Get the alphabet magnets and help him write things on the fridge or get the ones for the bathtub and do the same.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Get flash cards. I bought them at my local pharmacy Walgreens. Repetition is the key.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• WOW! Does you teacher KNOW how much a 4 yr old can grow in 4 months? let alone the summer??? but to help him at home go online and print alaphabet sheets that way he can practice writting the letters, get alaphabet flash cards (or make them) mix them up and go through them with him, make a bingo game with alphabets and numbers, practice writting them in shaving cream or pudding or in sand, write out a letter and have him glue cereal or rice on it, Those are just a few ideas but above all please realize your son has a lot of time to learn this before e goes to school!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thank you all so much for your ideas! Sometimes I think these teacher's are nuts! Last year my 6 year old's teacher wanted him to go to T-1 because he liked to talk BUT she said he was one of her BEST students and we refused for him to T-1 and to go straight to 1st grade and his teacher said he is a awesome student. Why on earth would you want to hold a kid back for talking.
    Mommie-of-2

Comment by Mommie-of-2 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• These are some good ideas, but if you do get flashcards try doing things besides just holding them up and asking him to identify the letter; that can get really boring and frustrating. Try putting 3 cards down and giving him something like a toy frog and ask him to make the frog jump onto the "A" card, or make up other fun games that require him to identify the letters. You can also find lots of learning games online. My 3 year olds really enjoy a game called Little Letter Playground on the Nick Jr. website; it's a game for matching capital and lower case letters.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Although flash cards can certainly help, they do tend to get boring. Try pointing out the letters to your son whenever you come across them in your every day activities.

Also, the Leapfrog DVD The Letter Factory, is really helpful. My boys both could recognize all the letters, but they had trouble learning the sounds, but a week after getting this DVD they both knew every sound.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• We got a Leap Frog Fridge Phonics Letters. It has a 'base' unit that sticks magnetically to the fridge and comes with uppercase letters.  When you put a letter in the opening on the base it says the letter and the sound it makes.  They also make a companion set that is lower case letters.  In almost no time my DD was able to recognize letters and she was most interested in the letters that make her name.

nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 2:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You could also get a bunch of magnetic letters. A few times a day or everytime he comes into the kitchen, ask him to find a letter or two. Then later on ask him to find the letter 'T' or other letters.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 2:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011