Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Who is suppose to pay medical expenses

If the dad provides insurance but there are copays do I have to pay them? My order says extra medical expenses 80% NCP and 20% CP (not exact numbers, don't have order here but close). If I don't have to pay them how long do I have to request his half and can I go back to get what he hasn't paid in the past?

Okay what I want to know is lets say the child is sick and I take them to the doctors and they need medication.  The copay total for the month is $50.  Can I send the dad a bill for $40 of that since his part is 80% and mine is 20%. 

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (13)
  • Im not sure but heres a bump!

    Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • You're an adult, you should have to pay for it. He's already paying for your medical insurance. I don't see why you can be an adult and pay the rest of it.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • With my son his medical expenses beyond what the insurance covers is split 50/50. When I get a bill in, it has to be photocopied and sent to his Dad within 30 days. He is supposed to send his part directly to me.
    However, this has never happened, and yes I was able to take him back to court to get those expenses reimbursed.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Generally you split co-pays AFTER you have paid $250 out of pocket for the year, assuming he provides the insurance, also, you need to stay in network. You also need to INFORM him of all doctor appointments and anything you expect him to pay PRIOR to doing it, and submit a bill/receipt to him for reimbursement within 30 days of service, he, in turn, should reimburse you within 30 days of receipt. You must get his consent on any expenditures above and beyond child support before committing to them. You can try to go to court for past expenses, but it will cost you a *minimum* of $1500 in lawyer fees to only take a CHANCE that the judge would rule in your favor. How much do the old bills total? May not be worth it. Do everyone a favor, especially your child, and do everything in your power to work WITH your ex.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Yes, If he pays for the insurance. I think it's fair for you to pay the co-pay.

    Answer by arenad at 2:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Time to grow up and realize daddy isn't going to pay your way all your life. Pay it yourself.

    Answer by MamaDawn0223 at 2:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • depends on whether or not you have a court order. Review your divorce decree or court judgement. Most likely, YOU have the copay as the requesting parent for medical care and are the one signing for care consent for a minor. If you do not present the court order or decree prior to receiving medical care more than likely you are listed as the guarantor in the provider's system.


    Answer by jewjewbee at 2:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Despite the fact that people have been harsh on you, what they think is "fair" doesn't really mean an awful lot. You can likely consult friend of the court if you want legal help but in most agreements it doesn't matter who is paying the insurance, the copay and other medical expenses are negotiated separately. For example, it looks like from what you said you might be responsible for 20% of the copay? (Or is your copay 20% of the visit price?) In that case the doctor's office won't give a hoot about your agreement with your ex so they will expect you to pay it, you will then document all charges and payments and bill him for his 80%. If he does not repay you you can take your documented expense report to court and he will be forced to. I hope this helps!

    Answer by ashleyaction at 2:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • In that case the doctor's office won't give a hoot about your agreement with your ex
    Not true
    By law they have to abide by a court order or divorce decree, if they don't abide by it they have to formally dismiss the patient or write off what they are not willing to bill the responsible party for.

    Answer by jewjewbee at 2:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Whoever voted me down is a bitter ex wife who thinks her ex is a wallet and nothing more. Grow up and work TOGETHER with you ex, you kids will benefit!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.