What do you use to add color to your soup?

I know that soup takes on the color of certain ingredients, i.e., red cabbage, soup becomes purple, black beans make soups become grey, etc.. so is there anything in particular you use to bring it back to a better color?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 2:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No, I've never heard of that, lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can rinse canned black beans, and you can cook red cabbage separately before adding it to the soup. Otherwise, it will color the broth, which is really not a bad thing in my opinion.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You can't bring it back to a better color. That's the nature of the ingredients of the soup.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I agree with CraftingMama, the color of the soup really depends on the ingredients in the soup. By adding things just for color you will change the flavor of your soup. I like to add canned chopped tomatoes to one of my soups, and that makes it red, but I expect my chicken soup to have a pale "chicken broth" color, and my navy bean soup is orange because of the carrots and the tomato sauce......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• What color would you prefer the soup be? I mean, every soup I've ever eaten has been "that" soup because of what is in the soup, so if you are getting an "off" color to your soups from what you expect the color to be, maybe it's the ingredients that you're using or omitting from the recipes?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011