Do your children wear hats when the weather is cold out?

I care for 2 girls age 4 and 19 months and have 3 kids of my own age 6, 5 and 2 (with one on the way!!!) Now when it's cold out I dress my kids in winter coats, snowpants (unless just going to the car) and hat's gloves and scarves if they wish. The children I care for don't come with snowpants and I have to constantly ask for them so we can go outside. The baby comes to my house after being out in the cold on the playground and all she is wearing is a coat with a loose hood and sometimes mittens. Her father drops her off and he's all bundled up. I've told both parent's she should be wearing a hat and he says that the hood is just fine. I'm frustrated with this family and this is just the latest thing(among many)
So am I wrong and a hood is just fine (her cheeks are rosy and her ears are cold when she comes) or should I push them to put a hat on the child????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have been watchign other kids for 12 years now on and off...plus i have 3 kids. i have to constantly ask and remind the parents for hats and gloves etc. so i bought a pair of gloves for the little guy at dollar store that i keep as spare if he doesnt bring them. i got snow pants form a neighbor last year as the boy had snowpants for 18months(he was almost 3) so you can imagine his legs were a foot longer and his pants got wet. this year i was firm in sept, i require snowpants(they leave here and take home if snowy wkend forcasted),boots(which dont always make it),hat,gloves. they were much better this year. so i would say look i can pick them up if you want to give me the money and i will go out for you...this seemed to work..she realized i was serious. she bought some. mind you his gloves have ripped and get his hands wet and she hasnt replaced them. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• yes I don't have kids yet but when I take my niece and nephew they are in hats and mittens!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My son normally does wear a hat, but if we are just going to daycare then his hood is fine.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'd buy some cheap $1 ones and keep them at my house for the little ones
    My son always goes out ready for the weather

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If it's super cold (or we are in a super cold area) mine wears a hat AND his hood. The wind gets through the hood too easily. If I were you I'd just go pick up some cheap hats and stuff for them to wear while you are watching them.
    Anonymous

• She's not just coming to daycare though, she is on the school playground dropping her sister off at school. She's out there for a good while, 10-15 mins sometimes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I alos have hat's and such at my place for them and last year I lost so many because they'd wear them home and I'd never see them again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I know what you mean. My son has friends from down the street come to play sometimes. If they play outside I have some cheap gloves and hats I let them wear. Sometimes they don't even have on a jacket and wearing a short sleeve shrt. I think it's sad.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My daughter wears a knit cap, but she doesn't own any snowpants. She wears thermal underwear under her pants. Just buy some hats and gloves from the dollar store.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011