jaundice

i posted questions two days ago about sleeping through feedings... my son went from a 14.2 to a 21 for the billieruben test yesterday so this is day two in the hospital... really it went down to 12 over night again but we are here a second night because my dr. says it will go back up when they stop the IV... I am freaking out. has anyone gone through this with their newborn? i cant sleep ... i passed out cold last night late and slept through my baby crying. the peds nurse came in and changed him while i laid there... How sad :|. daddy is home with our three year old. so yea. anyone go through this? encouragement would be nice... I am so tired.

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I haven't going though it personally, but I am a pediatrics nurse so I see jaundice frequently.
    First I would like to say... everything is going to be ok! Jaundice is a very common problem in babies... it's something that is easily fixed.
    With your baby, it's great that the level came down so quickly. The "Magic" number is 12. There is usually a rebound when fluids are stopped and the lights are stopped... but usually the number doesn't go VERY high again... if your pediatrician is worried they can always send you home with a biliblanket for a couple of days to help keep the numbers down.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My second child was jaundice and had to have triple light photo therapy. It really sucked because I couldn't hold her like I'd have liked to and she could only be out of the incubator for 20 mins at a time. It is tough and you will get through this, I promise! We were in the hospital 3 days longer than expected and all is well now.
    Also don't beat yourself up about sleeping through him crying. It happens. With my first child I'd sleep though him crying in the bed bassinett right next to my head. DH would wake with him, change him and then wake me to feed him. You have just had a baby and must be zonked, not to mention you have a 3 yr old at home, you were probably tired going into labour.
    Big hugs and hang in there you will both be home and back to normal soon!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• it'll get better and its good that you are in the hospital to get some extra help!!! My friends have experienced this but things turned out great they ended up taking bili lights home for a week good luck and get some much needed rest!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My youngest got over 21 and they had him wear a bilibelt at home for just over a week. With that on constantly, his levels (slowly) went down and didn't go back up. The bilibelt seems to be more effective than most treatments because it's right against the baby. Good luck!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My baby boy had jaundice too, don't worry it's very normal and common for little baby to have that. They found out on the 3rd day during my hospital stay, lucky I had a csection so i'm staying longer in the hospital. We were very scare too when we heard he has jaundice even tho it's very common according to nurses. They put him in that glass box with the light on him for a day and a night. I was sitting next to him the whole time during the day, b/c he hates the gaggle that they put on him and he keep pushing it off. It will go down and it will not come back so don'tworry and let the nurses/peditrician to take care of him
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• never had it this bad :( So sorry and dont feel bad. you "passing out" is your body trying to catch up on some sleep so you can be there for you baby while awake! Hang in there. I send you lots of hugs! Good luck
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• thank you everyone! you are so great. really Thank you thank you thank you!

i have to give best answer to the nurse. I really do - thank you so much amijanell you gave the most info.

but everyone else thank you so much. the kindness is very much appreciated!
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011