When you stay with relatives or friends do you...

Wash your own damn dishes?
My MIL is staying for a week. I just love coming home from to school to find her martini glasses from last night and coffee mugs from this morning in the sink for me to wash. So rude! Not to mention she just leaves the Snuggie on the couch all night instead of putting it back where she found it. Every morning I get up and put it away. May seem frivolous to complain about but I'm already picking up after 3 kids and husband.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 2:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I wash my own dishes. Alot of times I will do them all just to show appreciation for them letting me stay.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If she's a guest in your home, then etiquette does not require her to clean up after herself. However, mothers should probably help out when they come for a visit. She should realize you probably need and appreciate any help she can offer.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• She is a guest in your home and she must think "guest" means she don't have to do any house work...Does she have a job??.....i would think most MIL's would help out in the house..
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 2:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't always do dishes when I'm a guest, I admit it. Sometimes I just don't think of it, the way I never look at the gas gauge if I'm driving someone else's car.

If I'm staying for more than one night, though, I think I just about always remember, and make a serious effort to help my stay not be a burden in terms of housekeeping.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would never expect a visiting family member to do housework. I think your just getting uptight because it's your MIL.
    Anonymous

• When a guest is in my home, I do not expect them to clean up after themselves.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• talk with her and your husband. good luck i lived with my mil for 6 months and i just got up packed everything and moved out I told my husband that he can decide who he wants to live with and for a yr we have been happily on our own!!
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If I were at someone else's house and made my own meal or dirtied anything of course I would clean it. But usually if it's a big family meal I offer to clean but am usually told not to worry lol. That's not the case with your MIL though, I think she should clean up after herseld. Maybe she feels more comfortable though being that she is the mother of your husband. God forbid if we left a mess at my MIL's house though LOL!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Do I wash my own dishes No I do not I do helpwith the washing of the dishes and make the bed and keep things picked up after myself and my family.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I try to be a good guest and clean up after myself.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2011