Rice cereal and consitpation

My daughter is 5 months and has been on rice cereal for a few wks and it seems since then she is having a bit of trouble passing stools. When i cut out the cereal for a few days everything was fine and then i started it up again and same problem. So should i try another cereal or is it not nesasary? Oh yeah and i do mix pears or peaches in with it.

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My guy does better on oatmeal but we also put some white grape juice in it, that keeps him going pretty regular.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 7:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Why dont you try and make it more soupy, More like, melted ice cream consistency, that way she dont have to struggle, and giving her water would be a good idea too.

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my daughter has the same problems try mixing applesauce in the cereal it helps...good luck..
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Yes rice is very binding. That is why they say to go on the BRAT diet when you have diarrhea (bread, rice, applesauce, toast). Also, the AAP recommends waiting until 6 months to start solids to help avoid allergies and digestive issues. And rice cereal has little nutritional value. All the good stuff is taken out, then artificial vitamins are added back in. It turns to sugar in the body. Basically it is the difference between white bread and whole wheat bread.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Cut out the rice and just give sonme fruit like you have been doing. It is unecessary to give rice cereal so young. You child may not even be able to digest it properly which could be a factor in this.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• YES Rice can cause consitpation so can banannas, try oatmeal for awhile do 2 day oatmeal 1 day rice and so on....It should help! (rice is gental on the tummy but not the butt)
    I was told if my baby was haveing trouble to give oatmeal with apple in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My son had the same problem. I do make the cereal so it had more of an applesauce texture. Try using juice instead of fruit. I use one tablespoon of juice AND 1 tps of formula per tablespoon of cereal. I know it's recommended to wait until 6 months for juice. But I gave my son just an ounce or 2 of juice on the days he seemed like his tummy was backed up... He's almost eight months now and I gradually incresed his cereal intake since we started cearel at around 5 months. Now were are up to 2 small bowls of cereal a day with two-3oz bottles of juice (and babyfood) throughout the day. He's happy as can be! No bathroom problems what so ever! good luck!
    T.Beannie77

Answer by T.Beannie77 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2008