boobs/breastfeeding

my boobs are hard as rocks. this is the 5 1/2th day lol... of minis life and we are in the hospital for janundice. i have decided to exclusively pump here so i could keep track of what intake he was actually doing. I have tried massaging them, hot towels and hot showers. what else is there .. i 4got my heating pad... what can i do to releave the swelling and pain:?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• cold lettuce leaves in your bra

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• if your still in the hospital what do the dr's and nurses say?
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• They make a gel pad that is sold with the other nursing supplies in the store, you can put it in the fridge to get it cold and then put it over your nipples/breast and it is very soothing. Honestly, if you can I would put that baby to the breast, but I understand your reasons for wanting to pump. My milk really came in on day 5 and I got really engorged but it only lasted a day or so and then I was ok, still got kind of full in my breasts but not to the point that it was painful. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Pump, pump and pump again. Your body will eventually realize that it doesn't have to make so much milk. You can also take a diaper and get it wet and put it in the freezer. It stays cold for a long time. Sorry baby is not well. Hope it gets better.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 3:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• just express a little to relieve the hardness. dont overpump because it could cause you to produce too much regularly. the gel pad mary is talking about is by lansinoh...its called a soothie gel pad. and they feel amazing when your nipples are sore. mostly just keep in mind that engorment is very temporary....just a few days tops. and if your anywhere near labor and delivery at the hospital they might have those gel pads and they might be willing to give oyu one:)
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• put the baby back on the boob. Measure how much he is getting by his urine output and weight =)
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011