is it normal for a 5 moth old to sleep on his side instead of his back?

I always put my 5 month old on his back when i put him down to sleep. When i check on him he always on his side. I don't bother him to put him back on his back again. Is that normal or ok for himto do that?

strongnbrave

Asked by strongnbrave at 2:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep,that's fine

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• both of mine preferred their sides. I had a positioner from day one. To this day neither sleep on their back, side or belly.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• not sure
    ChanQ

Answer by ChanQ at 2:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i think it's normal. imo once they are that age, i wouldn't worry about rolling him back. my baby started rolling to his belly pretty early and that made me nervous but now that's he's older, i don't worry about it at all :-)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think it's normal, once they can move from being flat on their backs most kids do, and will either roll onto their side of their stomachs. I have always heard that this is ok, as long as you put them on their back and they move on their own.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• once he can roll over ler him sleep however he wants.....just keep pillows and thick blankets out of the crib and make sure the sheet fits tightly.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• As long as he is turning himself according to my dr. the babies can sleep how they want to. My kids were either sleeping on their backs or sides when they were 3 months old.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes, this is normal. Babies know what they want way better than we do. If he is able to roll over on his own, he is able to get himself out of that position. Like others have said, make sure there's nothing else in the crib with him that could pose as a threat to his ability to breathe.
    lefultz87

Answer by lefultz87 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes. My DS rolls on his side and he sleeps a lot better than on his back.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2011