puffs etc-- are they healthy?

i have always assumed things like puffs and other finger foods in the baby aisle at the grocery store were just junk foods but then i read so many saying they give them to their baby every day.

i always thought that's like giving your older child cookies or chips everyday, but then i thought maybe i'm missing something?

do you think puffs and things like that have any nutritional value? i'm going to check the label when i go to the store this week :) but what do you think?  i hope i'm not coming off too rude.  ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everything in moderation. The gerber puffs are a great on the go snack. I wouldn't consider it part of a meal.
    Anonymous

• They are pretty much just air. I wouldn't say they were really either good or bad. There is basically nothing in them. I usually give the twins Cheerios. (They at least have some nutritional value)
    missy19874419

Answer by missy19874419 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I don't think there is much to them either way. I didn't give them to serve any nutritional purpose but I didn't consider them junk food. For me it was something to help DD learn how to eat, and it was easy to put Puffs in a baggie to take on the go. I would say my DD ate them as snacks during a period of a few months but she was still, at that time, getting her nutrition from formula.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm looking at a can of Graduates Lil' crunchies right now so I'll tell you what I see. lol Per serving we have 35 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 50 mg of sodium, 15 of potassium and 4 carbs. They also offer a good percentage of the recommended daily value of calcium, iron, vit. E and zinc. I also have a box of baby Mum Mums, those rice husk things. Nothing but some calories and sodium in those.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I gave them to my son to keep him happy when I was at the store or something important that he had to come with me to.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I prefer for my kids to get their nutritional needs met through more natural foods (fruits and veggies mostly), but I did buy a can or two when my 2 year old was younger. It was a quick and easy "treat" I wouldn't give them as a health food, but they are fine in moderation.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i use them only as a treat or to keep her busy while i make dinner or we are at the store! its never a meal or part of a meal they are just for fun! but there is good stuff in them!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I look at them like chips or cookies, not for every day. But they are great for on the go snacks and they actually do have whole grains and the fruit or vegetable in them, so they aren't that bad. As a great alternative I like to try to find the freeze dried fruits, all it is is fruit and dd loves it. Its wasier to carry than fresh adn a lot less messy.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011