how can get my 7 yr old from being too picky when it comes to eating?

i always had trouble with my 7 yr old being a picky eater.I seems i have to satifice the things i want o cook to the things i know she will eat. its like pulling teeth all the time or some times i just give in to her pickiness. Like i would love to have fried chicken green beans and corn on the cob. She won't eat the chicken nor the green beans. How can i get her to not be so picky?

strongnbrave

Asked by strongnbrave at 3:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Tell her if u eat this u can do this(fav show)
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Got to offer rewards.
    dancer

• I personally don't think you can 'make' her not be picky. We have struggled with our 7 year old being picky. We went for a few years just fighting with him to eat what we had or else...bla bla bla...fighting sucks at dinner. There is only the 3 of us, so sometimes we make two different things for dinners. I would rather do that and have a nice family dinner, then to fight. I knwo alot of people complain and say they won't or whatever works for your family.

You could just make what you want and tell her this is dinner if you don't like it then you can have a big breakfast, that is one thing I read. No child has ever died or been hurt from missing one meal LOL! IF you do that a few times maybe she will eat it.

One thing we did explain to our son is that you may not LOVE every meal but it could be just ok, its not like were asking him to eat something horrible that makes him gag.

Hope this makes sense.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Don't give her anything maybe a little snack but enough to get her by til dinner...let her get hungry enough to eat anything I would just make the dinner and serve it to her and if she does not eat that is it the rest of the families bellie is full (tell her that) don't ever make something special bc she will never shake off that pickiness...come up with something for her to do or eat if she eats what mommy makes eventually she will eat just don't give her too many choices...I know I have a picky eater and so far everything turned out just fine. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I never gave my kids a chance to be picky. They've been fed a wide variety of foods from day one, and have always like pretty much everything. DH and I really aren't picky eaters, so they don't pick it up by seeing us being picky.
    Anonymous

• Just keep offering a variety of foods, don't nag, and model trying new foods. And breathe.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I've always offered a wide variety of foods and also taught Julita to eat at least 3 bites of everything on her plate. I don't cook special foods for her, she is expected to eat what is served. Additionally, I model good eating habits. Children learn what we teach them.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My kids started off that way. I would keep introducing various foods with choices of sauces until she eventually will start to find that she likes certain combinations together. I think most children develop their taste for foods over time. My son would pick the beans out of my chili when he was younger and eat the meat and beans separately. He refused to eat them together, so I let him do just that since it was the only way he would actually eat the food. Eventually he liked chili but it did take some time.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Easy, become a secret chef, what I mean is, want kids to eat spinich, addit to something he likes
    tamik981

Answer by tamik981 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2011