Pentagon to cut $78 BILLION over the next 5 years, thoughts?

WASHINGTON – Defense Secretary Robert Gates will cut $78 billion from the Pentagon budget in the next five years, money that will come from shrinking the military's ground force, increasing health care premiums for troops and other potentially unpopular cost-saving measures.

The plan, announced Thursday, identifies a separate $100 billion in savings found by the services, including the cancellation of a $14 billion amphibious Marine vehicle. However, the services will be allowed to reinvest that money in new weapon systems and programs that benefit troops.

The move is part of a broader effort to trim fat from the military's budget in light of the nation's ballooning deficit. But parts of the plan could run into opposition from Congress.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• our military needs to stay strong!

But they always cut where they shouldn't .

Just bring back our troops, and keep them getting killed for no good reason! that should save a lot of money.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 3:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• That's sad. We're increasing funding for illegal aliens, people who won't get a job, and professional welfare acceptants, but we're cutting funding to take care of and protect those protecting us. I can't see THIS coming back and biting us in the backside!!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Sounds good until you read about it.
    I hate it. It's affecting our troops. They already don't get pain enough for all that they do and now it's going to cost them more to have a shitty heath care plan. (I know its shitty since I have it)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• no thoughts. just points today, lotsa points
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It feels like they're going for some of the easy cuts, rather than looking for the hard ones.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The number sounds good....just not where they're cutting it from! Typical.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• This announced on the same day they annouce 1500 more troops to Afghansitan.

And they want to cut Army and Marine Corp troop size by 20%.

As a former National Guard, I think this is risky and leaves the opportunity for more sress to my fellow military brothers and sisters currently serving.
    myame

Answer by myame at 6:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• *paid
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The move is part of a broader effort to trim fat from the military's budget in light of the nation's ballooning deficit.

I'm all for trimming fat from all areas possible...the goal is too decrease the deficit, right? We can not complain about the deficit and then balk when areas are trimmed. It will affect everyone in 1 way or another, just the realities of belt tightening.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Horrible, All they could find to cut or squeeze the military with was their medical and the number of boots on the ground? I agree there is most likely room for budget trimming but that's not where it should be.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011