• In the Spotlight:

What can I do about my 6yr old daughters attitude?

My daughter has a mouth on her, she never says any swears, but when I ask her to clean her room or to do something she gives me the hardest time! I try explaining she needs to do them for whatever reason, I have tried a sticker chart it worked good for a few weeks but then it flopped! I am nearing wits end....All this has turned into is a battle of wills! When she isnt asked to do anything she is the best little girl....

I knew girls talked back but I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this for a few more years......

TAY-NATESMOM

Asked by TAY-NATESMOM at 7:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6 year old daughter is now 20. I remember this age very well and am sorry to say it gets worse. I waited until she was about 10- that's too long. Get them now while they are only 6. I bet you find yourself more frustrated than your child at times.
    If they refuse to clean their room, or go in it to clean for hours and nothing gets done as my daughter did. Take a strong stand now. Go in their room and put everything in several plastic bags and take it to the neighbors or somewhere that they can't get it. I know this seems harsh, but it should work. they need to know you are serious.
    Let them have one bag back at a time( no more than one a day).

This question made me look back.
    Historykeeper

Answer by Historykeeper at 10:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I know what u mean i have a daughter 6,and when i ask her just to even make her bed she acts like i'm asking her to clean the entire house! it's hilarious really. Basically i tell her ,u have to learn responsibility and if she still doesn't do what i ask her to do then,i just don't let her watch tv or play her video games!
    leahc

Answer by leahc at 7:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My son is 8. He knows all. He also never stops talking. He is also very bright and loving. The fresh mouth is normal for his or her age. All I can say is that it will pass. You have to remind yourself who is in charge. Try not to argue back. It only encourages him to keep talking. (I also have 3 older kids so I have been through before.) Hope this helps.
    bunches

Answer by bunches at 7:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have two boys that are four and six. I also have a three month old daughter. We have a lot of problems with the boys cleaning their room and mouthing off. If they know that they get to do something that they want to do after they clean their room the tend to get done quicker. And there is less fussing about it. They get time outs and spankings for mouthing off. Not everyone would agree on the spankings, but it works for us. We just had to put our foot down and start following through with what we say.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2008