Should I report this?

I have a friend who is a single mom, at the beginning I was baby sitting for her for free 50+ hours a week while she worked. She began to take advantage of that and long story short was not making moves to further improve her and her daughter's life like getting her daughter's birth certificate to get child support, spending money on clothes for herself and then asking me for money for rent. I stopped baby sitting for her, gave her time to find a new solution. Well, she is trading baby sitting with a friend from work which is good at least she is giving back to a person that is helping her.

Here is the problem. The two boys she is watching, plus her daughter all have to fit in one car with three large car seats and that has forced her to put her daughter in the front seat of her car which is illegal and she knows it and I have sat there and listened to her bash her friends who have done this. I've tried saying something to her and she just shrugs it off. (I'm not in a position to help her carpool). BUT the other day I was out and saw her driving with her daughter in the front seat and no excuse for her not to be in the back.

Should I report this, stay out of it? If I should, who should I report it too??? I'm not trying to run her life for her, I'm just concerned for her daughter's safety. Her daughter is 15 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I live in MN and people who only have one row of seats are allowed to have a carseat in the front. It's not illegal to have a child in the front as long as the airbag is shut off.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Read the carseat laws of your state carefully. The way I read our state's law is that it is illegal to put children in the front UNLESS the backseat doesn't have room because there are already kids in carseats back there.
    Anonymous

• It may not be illegal. I live in California and am a car seta tech and there are lots of exceptions to the law.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I would report it. If she gets an accident it could kill her baby. She's endangering her.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• mmm idk........
    Anonymous

• Call DMV. To report it. Ur anonymous so she'll think it was someone else
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well, that's a tricky one. Yes, I agree it's not safe. How that would be proven to the right authorities in order for them to do anything about it is a whole other can of worms. If she get's pulled over, she'll just get a ticket, nothing more. But hopefully that would be enough.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• this is a tough one... if you report it, then she'll know it was you who reported it... if there was a way to do it anonymously i would do that but since there's not... i would try one more time and tell her that if she doesnt change it, you'll have to report it. If she doesn't change it... then report it. She may be upset but at least you warned her that you'd report it and gave her a chance to change it. The alternative would be to not say anything... most-likely things will be fine while she's doing this, but it's a risk and if she does end up in an accident and one of the kids hurt or killed, would your conscience be able to take it?
    Mamma2E

Answer by Mamma2E at 3:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i would talk to her first, reporting ti can make her life a lot worse
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• maybe leave her a note from a "concerned neighbor" explaining what she is doing - how it could kill her baby and if you see it again you will report her to the dmv and csb. that way it isnt you --- it is just some annon bitch up her butt... and the kid might be safer - if that doesnt change it - report her - you tried talking to her in person and a note from a random neighbor - that is enough warning to stop putting your kid in harms way.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011