'Wish' list at major retailer for my son's 1st birthday?

have you ever done this?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• no
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's tacky. And kind of rude.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• no but in invation I try to find cute way to say what he needs (clothes) and size
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• no....we do a wish list at xmas because the family that lives out of state request it. i now do them at holidays but it is just more a guide for me.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Absolutely not, and I would never even consider it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You know, I'm kind of old fashioned, I follow traditional etiquette. I don't think you throw a birthday party or shower for yourself, make people buy their own meal at a party, etc

BUT...this is one new thing that I kind of like!! I like when people register with a store for "wish lists"....we all know that when we go to a birthday party we're going to take a gift, it's nice to know what the child likes, needs and wants. I think it's okay to make a "wish list", make it for a wide range of prices so that people can spend just a few dollars (maybe books, cars, etc.) to higher priced items that grandparents and close relatives may want to buy. Then we all know exactly what to get (or we can buy what we want anyway) and we can get the right color, size....whatever. For those of us without small kids, we don't always know what the current items available are...I think it makes it easier personally, and don't see a problem with it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i like it. i just do it - email the link to the family - so the grandparents get ideas of what he wants and needs - they do not have to follow it .. just some ideas if they are lost and i explained that the first time i sent the link. most of them like it and just order the stuff online and make it easy on themselves.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No I don't make 'wish lists' for the kids birthdays. Usually the grandparents know what my kids like/want and if they are not sure what to get they will ask me or the child for ideas.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i should add---- everyone asked me what to get him .... it's kinda a way of me not to tell 2 people the same thing
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i did but noone used it but i didn;t have a big party or anything. i did it for her first christmas. and i tried it for her first birthday but again it was not used at all. and then this past christmas noone used it either.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 5:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011