Why does my baby's breath smell sweet?

I noticed the past couple days that my daughter's breath smells kind of sweet and musky. She is three months old and only drinks formula. She does not get juice or baby food or anything other than formula. Is this normal? My husband suggested it was the formula on her breath, but why, then, did I just notice the smell NOW and not three months ago when she started this formula?

I heard sweet breath can indicate diabetes and we do have diabetes in our family (three of my aunts and my husbands' mom.) Is this a possibility? I just called the doctor, they are giving me a call back soon I hope.

Does anyone know anything about this?

applebean

Asked by applebean at 3:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you cleaning her gums? Could be leftover formula in her mouth.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes it can be an indicator have talked to the pediatrician to get her tested?

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You should brush her gums with that blue thing that goes around your finger at least twice a day or go take her in just to be on the safe side Good Luck :-)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Clean her gums and mention it at her next checkup, which should be at the 4 month mark.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Okay, the doctor called back. They said to smell her urine and if it smells sweet, to have her come in for a blood test. Her diaper smells just like her breath, going for a blood test tomorrow morning.
    applebean

Comment by applebean (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011