New baby smell.. Um i'm smelling WHAT?!?!?

Okay so I love the "new baby" smell.
Ever since ds... I love putting my nose right on a baby's neck and smelling them. Weird I guess. But baby's have this smell, "new baby" smell.

Anyway I was talking to my mom about it because she asked me why I want to be a neonatal nurse. I kidded around and told her that I want to smell the "new baby" smell and she told me...Well sweetie, your only smelling uterus. QUE? Uterus? When I asked what the hell she was talking about she said, "What the hell do you think roz. Baby's spend all that time floating in fluid and where do they spend the 1st 9 months of their lives... in the uterus. You like the smell of uterus...she goes on to laugh in my ear..loudly.

Ladies...Um, "new baby smell"...thoughts?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 3:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• LOL I still love the new baby smell as well!!
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• LOL.. yummy! I still love the smell of a new baby!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• LMAO that's hilarious! I too still loved the smell of my newborn dd, and still smell the top of her head pretty much every day.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• To me the "new baby" is the lotions and powders I put on them that make them smell so good and I don't think I had a uterus full of baby lotion...lol.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• If they start making an air freshner that smells like new baby smell I'm totally buying it!!
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It isn't the uterus- it is pheromones. Hormones escaping the body through their itty bitty teeny tiny baby pores. Mostly, they are going to be YOUR hormones, but they are a chemical reaction that occurs to help mothers "know" and feel emotionally attached to their babies.

One reason why they tell mothers who are going to put their babies up for adoption to hold off on holding their babies- let the adoptive mothers hold them first. New mothers are particularly prone to heightened emotions because of the chemicals they are smelling- thus makes them more attached to the child.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think you may be smelling baby powder if you use that on your babies bottom. I sure did and that has a nice scent to it.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Not sure about the baby powder. I'm talking baby straight out of the womb, has been cleaned and wrapped. There's a "smell" and its not bad at all its the "new baby" scent

Hey, I wonder if they'll make an air freshener... LoooooL
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's possible that that wonderful new baby smell is put there by Mother Nature to entice new moms to take care of their babies. LOL! It could be the scent of the soap, or powder, or laundry soap.

Answer by Bmat at 4:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have a cousin who had a good time making fun of me for saying I love the new baby smell. She then had her first baby and apologized. I do not know how to explain it but I do understand it.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 4:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011