How do you know for absolutey sure that someone is a "troll"

How do you know beyond a doubt?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I have read a couple good questions today and have witnessed the word troll used toward the person asking the questions. People seem to use it too quickly if they do not agree with the question. The questions I saw are in the debate forum. Aren't opinions supposed to differ in a debate forum? I am sure there are people posting just for trouble, but I do not think the ones I just mentioned were posted for anything more than debate purposes.

zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 4:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You don't
    Anonymous

• you can't be POSITIVE. I try to answer them unless they are just too far out there. If they are something dangerous I will try to get them to get professional help but I find it disgusting when people say mean rude things to the "trolls" I would never want to make the mistake of calling someone a troll and telling them to go ahead and kill themselves or whatever and then find out that it was someone on the edge and looking for help.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• BUT - i will add that it's quite obvious when someone is TROLLING for drama. "why do people on PA drive escalades?" is a prime example of somebody trolling for drama. even then - the word troll does not leave my keyboard. asshole or idiot might, though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You don't. There's no way to know for sure. You may suspect, you might even be just sure you know - but that's all supposition. You don't know someone else's intent and you don't know someone else's inflection. You don't know their educational level and you don't know what their motive for posting or responding is.

Now there are plenty of people here - and everywhere in life - who are rude, self-important, nasty, ignorant, and worse. And yes, it certainly is possible to be right the majority of the time when suspecting that you've run across one of these people. But the name-calling? It gives this issue far more importance than it's worth. If you suspect "troll", then ignore it. Ignore it and it will go away. It really is that simple.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i dont ever call people trolls - i think that's a pretty lame insult, if it can even be called an insult. i think there are rude people on here, some hide behind the anonymous button and others don't. in real life i dont call a rude person a troll, im not going to do it on the internet either.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's pretty clear when they respond anon and are VERY nasty
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• People reply as themselves and can be very nasty too, are they trolls?
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes I know when they are 100%. A troll is someone who trolls message boards for the sole purpose of being a disrupter and causing problems. When you see the same person answering posts over and over again (even in different threads) and being nasty, using different straw man arguments, etc then they are trolls. If you see people using their name and saying oh great so and so has arrived, they are probably trolls since the community even isnt thrilled to see them.
    http://www.flayme.com/troll/

Answer by gemgem at 4:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I think people take the troll issue way to seriously personally.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2011