What could this be?

I started getting a bad cold Monday night. Sore throat and sore ears only when I swallowed. My ears hurt so bad only when I swallowed and that is now coming and going. My throat/ears feel better during the day but is worse at night and in the morning. What could this be?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 3:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Health

• Sounds like a virus to me.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It could be a simple cold, or it could be an ear infection. With the ear pain, that leads me to think it's an ear infection. It could also be a combo of things.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The news says that the flu is now picking up momentum. That means that we're coming into flu season. Heck, I was in the supermakret and at least 6 people were coughing around me. Lickety split, I kind of dashed out of the aisle.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Normally when that happens to me, it's from my sinuses. you probably have something like sinusitis or allergies. The sinuses will drain down your throat at night which causes the sore throat, and the pressure in your sinuses can cause ear pain when you swallow. You may not feel like you have a stuffy nose or anything, but you can still have sinus congestion. Try a medicine like sudafed or something meant to dry up your sinuses.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Ear infection. Textbook symptoms.
    Anonymous

• Ear infection, or strep. When I get strep, my ears always hurt. I'm currently getting over strep yet again, and still have the symptoms you describe.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• thanks everyone. good answer aprildjc. i do have chronic sinusitis so im hoping ur right and that is wht it is.
    anxious1stimer

Comment by anxious1stimer (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)