HOw can I get my 4 month old to start sleeping alone?

He has always been very colicky and has trouble falling asleep unless I am cuddling him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Then rock him to sleep and lay him down. Nothing wrong with continuing to sleep with him until he's ready to sleep alone, though! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i used a sleep positioner with my son :)
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 4:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• There have been warnings on sleep positioners, so be aware of that. OP, your baby is pretty normal. They're programms to do just what she's doing. Sleeping alone is actually against their instinct. He'll do it when he's ready.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The problem is, he screams and screams until I pull him on his side beside me in bed. I have never mastered placing him in his crib without his eyes flying wide open and the tears starting.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I have put a palit on the side of your bed or a Crib or in the front of your bed and then after a couple night nights of doing that take the child in the other room when a sleep and if that doesn't work put a sleeping bag for your self on the floor or a twin size bed in that room that there going to be sleeping in and if it's just that the child needs that touch while sleeping what I would is the same but let them touch your hand and when there completely a sleep slowly move your hand away from there you will know when that happens they will not let go right away. It takes time for this to happen for you don't get mad it make you have more trouble than it is...
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• He's been in a warm womb for a long time and now he's in a cold scary place. He's just scared when he's not with you. Keep him swaddled until he gets used to being alone if you don't want to hold him and make him feel safe and secure

Answer by admckenzie at 4:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Just co-sleep. That's the only way my son fell asleep, so I just went with it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Mompam, did you have a lot of trouble getting your son to sleep alone later in life? We've just been going with what works thus far because honestly, we all get more sleep this way.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My daughter had colic until six months. The motion of a baby swing helped a lot and we gave her mylicon drops since the formula gave her bad gas.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yea, many babies start awake when you try to move them. It took a long time to master it with my first and he still co-slept most of the time after that (because doing that 6 times a night just wasn't feasible!). My first co-sleeping baby is now 5 in 2 days and sleeps just fine on his own.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2011