Do you use the sales at the supermarket as a guide to help you to decide what to cook?

I usually see what the supermarkets have on sale first. Then I see how many meals I can make using the ingredients I have on hand and what is readily available on sale at the supermaket to come up with some good eats for a good price. How about you?

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No I cook what ever I'm in the mood for
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I do.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I use it as a starting point when I have no ideas what to put on my shopping list. The grocery store I usually shop at has "meal deal" specials where you buy one or two things and you get several other items that go with it for free.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I shop according to what's on sale, and I plan my meals based on what's in my house. I don't make a special trip out for special ingredients.
    Anonymous

• That's pretty much what I do. Right now I really need to clean out my freezer and cupboards, because they are so stuffed. I'm challenging myself to make as many meals as I can from what I have on hand.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Kind of - I stockpile, coupon and plan meals around what's in the house. I don't buy things to make, I make what we have, and if it's on sale, I stock up on more if we're low. During times where we're not stockpiling, or when I'm helping people get started, that's how I suggest getting started - plan meals around sales and slowly build up a stockpile until you can plan meals around what's in your freezer and cupboard and not worry about the store at all.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Yes I do sometimes but there have been so many good sales my cupboards and freezers are stuffed right now. I too said we have to start eating what we have here and stop shopping except for bread, milk, eggs.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 8:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No, I stock up with sales items and replenish my pantry and freezer, then I cook whatever I feel like each day. I have enough stuff on hand to last about 3 months. I buy whatever fruits and veggies (within reason-no $7 pineapples) every few days, and stock up every other week at FMs. I make most of the bread we eat, but I do augment with real sourdough when I'm in the Bay area- I buy in bulk, cut in serving sizes, seal and freeze.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I USUALLY JUST HAVE T BUY MEATS AND WHERE I LIVE THEY HAVE DEALS THAT ARE 5 FOR $20.00 AND ITS MEATS,SEAFOOD
    IF ITS A TOUGH WEEK I ALSO GET ALOT OF STUFF FROM THE DOLLAR STORE ESPECIALLY FOR THE KIDS. MY 7 Y.O IS A VERY PICKY EATER HE WOULD EAT HOT DOGS AND MACARONI AND CHEESE EVERY NIGHT IF I LET HIM
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 6, 2011