having the baby before 37 weeks

ladies, when did you have your babies and how dilated were you?
i am almost 33 weeks and contracting already. i am 1 cm dilated,so my doctor will be checking me every week now. this is my second little girl and i don't know why it started so early though. what is going to happen if i deliver the baby between now and 35 weeks,before full term?
have any of you had babies before 37 weeks? how did it go?
i need to know,to stay calm.
thank you

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• dont get too worried, you could stay 1 cm and go past due. i was 2 cm for a good 3 weeks with my 2nd child. if you go into full blown labor before your term though, and having no other problems than that, they will likely put you on bedrest and maybe even give you a shot or some pills to stop the labor until the baby's had more time to develop. good luck and dont stress too much!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Dialation is NOT an indicator of early labor unless you are progressing every hour. My first baby I was at 1cm for 3 mos, one I was at 3 for 3 mos and one I was at 5 for 2 mos, so it's really not an indicator at all of when you will deliver. You don't want to deliver early anyway. Trust me, the NICU sucked. I don't understand why your doctor is checking you every week. That's just aggrivating your cervix. At 33 weeks it's normal to have contractions, even painful ones.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• At that stage of the unborn child's life, your baby is considered a preemie. That means they probably won't allow you to take the baby home until it gains a certain amount of weight so it will survive since as you know it would be very tiny.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My youngest was a month early and only had to stay in the hosp one extra day. But he was also almost 7 lbs lol.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 4:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• OK i have had 2 babies at and before 35 weeks... my son was born at 35weeks. he was fine. he went home the same time i went home.they do consider 35 weeks full term that's why they don't keep them long in the hospital.unless they are having problemsĀ i had my son in the town i lived in cuz they take babies 35 weeks and after and my daughter i had to go to a different town that's 2 hours away that do take babies before 35 weeks. my daughter was born at 32 weeks and had to stay longer then i would of wanted.. she was in the hospital for 2 months....and i was fully dilated at this time... i went in labor at 20 weeks was put on meds to help stop it..... i was dilated at 3cm at this point....we were preparing for her to come early.....i was held off until 28 weeks which my water broke and i was fully dilated at 10 but they didn't do anything just had me sit around in the hospital for 4 weeks. then she Finlay came...

niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 4:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• You could be this way for weeks. Heck you could actually go over 40weeks. Dialating is no indicator on when you will be going into labor. I was 1cm from 35weeks. I finally went into laborat 39 weeks and 4 days.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Just because you are dilated, means nothing, lol.

I had my first at 35 weeks due to heart rate issues. He suffered major respiratory failure & was in the NICU for 7 days.
    I dilated with my second to 2 cms by 36 weeks pregnant. Didn't deliver until 40 weeks, 4 days!
    I dilated to 1 cm at 31 weeks with my third. 3 cms by 34 weeks. 4 cms by 36 weeks. Delivered at 38 weeks, 3 days!

Don't worry too much. Take it easy. Stay hydrated! And relax!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• you will have your ups and downs with a preme baby. some days are better then others. they sometimes have to have (breathing machine)(feeding tubes)(pix lines) and of coarse heart monitors are a gimmy...they do stay in the hospital after you check out. it could be a week it could be a month(plus) all depends on how the baby is doing...my daughter stayed for 2 months.. it was hard, but ya gotta do what you gotta do....The shorter the term of pregnancy, the greater the risks of mortality and morbidity for the baby primarily due to the related prematurity. Preterm-premature babies ("preemies" or "premmies") have an increased risk of death in the first year of life (infant mortality), with most of that occurring in the first month of life (neonatal mortality). Worldwide, prematurity accounts for 10% of neonatal mortality, or around 500,000 deaths per year.[3 In the U.S. where many infections and other causes of neonatal death

niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Please do try to stay calm. Easier said than done, I know.

My daughter was born at 28 weeks gestation; had to be delivered via emergency c-section. They originally estimated she'd have to stay in the NICU at least 3 months; she was home in six weeks.

If you deliver early, your baby may have to spend time in the NICU. He/she will be allowed to go home once he/she can feed, maintain body temperature, and breath without any help. Just know that the NICU is the exact place he/she would need to be. Talk with the doctors and nurses and nutritionists and don't be afraid to ask them anything. Visit daily and practice kangaroo care (holding the baby, skin-to-skin, against your chest); it is so beneficial to the baby and a wonderful way to bond. Best of luck.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I thought I had braxton hicks contractions with my 1st baby, I was 33 weeks...I went to L&D to get checked and I was actually in real labor with contractions that were 2 minutes apart. They gave me a shot, meds and put me on bed rest. I had my baby at 40 wks & 3 days. They will stop your labor...but, if your water breaks then, you have to have your baby early.

I was a premature baby born at 34 weeks. I had a rough start and it never really stopped...but, I have nothing seriously wrong with me, so I would say your baby should be fine..because I am...my best friend was actually born at 30 weeks and she's doing well too. Don't worry, don't stress that can trigger contractions even more. Good luck!
    Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2011