blocked tear duct

My daughter has had a blocked tear duct for what seems like months. It was recently infected and has now started to clear up (with drops) How can i get it unblocked? I massage it but it still drips tears and crustys almost everyday. Shes 5 months old.

emilysmom401

Asked by emilysmom401 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Same thing happened to my baby for weeks! Massage it lightly with a warm damp cloth is what they told me. I never used any types of drops, I think that's too young to try that! I would see the ped if it got infected, but we just kept up the warm damp cloth for a couple times a day for weeks and it seemed to help!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 7:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It went away but now when he cries, he cries real tears which is heartbreaking so watch out!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 7:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Oh the drops were from her dr.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 8:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my son had that so every morning when he'd wake up i'd put a warm wet rag over his eye while i fed him. he liked it and never fussed
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Well...We dont want a warm rag on it but we have to put it there,

We risk infection into the eye, But it is the only thing that HONESTLY helps with a blocked tear Duct, is warmth,

But after placing the cloth on her eye, Switch to a cool rag,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My son had one eye do that before his 2 week check up and doctor gave vigamox eye drops and it clear up within two days...he peditrician had stated that they may have to open them but luckily his cleared...if the drops are different from my sons you might ask for the kind we used...Good Luck!!
    mommy2one07

Answer by mommy2one07 at 9:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• A blocked tear duct is a fairly common and usually temporary problem that occurs in infants when the nasolacrimal duct—the passage that lets tears drain from the eye into the nasal cavity—becomes obstructed or is closed off.

Having blocked tear ducts does not mean that you don't make tears. It actually means that the drainage system is blocked, so the tears that are made can't drain out, and the eye becomes flooded.

Blocked tear ducts occur in up to 20 percent of newborns. The condition, called dacryostenosis, can affect just one eye or both. For some babies, blocked tear ducts aren't immediately evident at birth and may not be noticed until the baby is a month old.

IF YOU FEEL ITS RIGHT OR IS LASTING TO LONG, TAKE BEBE TO DOC AND GET DROPS :]
    KAIDENSMOMI

Answer by KAIDENSMOMI at 12:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2008