Is there such thing as elementary schools having daycare for moms that work early?

My son is in kidergarten and another that 2 years old. So being a single mother I am trying to find out how to balance working in the morning, dropping my son off at school and my son off at daycare. So I was looking to see if anyone knew if there were elementary schools that have morning and afterschool daycare so that can care for my son until he starts class and after and for my 2 year until I get out of work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in

• Depends on your school district. Ours had before school care that started at 6AM, and after-school car that ended at 6PM... but ONLY for school aged children, not for preschoolers.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• The school i went to as a kid had early morning drop off. I think it started at 7:00 AM. But, my DD's school does not have after school, or before school care. It probably depends on how big of a school it is. The elementary school i went to as a kid was pretty big.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My sons school has what they call the boys and girls club, its from about 7:00 a.m. till school starts and after school until 5:30 p.m., you have to pay like 75 bucks a year or something like that.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i know for certain that there are daycares that have vans or other vehicles that will pick your kindergartner up from school and take him back to daycare, give him a snack and possibly even have him start his homework until you pick him up. not sure if the actual school offers what you're asking about though, but it would be quite ideal! i would call and ask for possibly find out online. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• My sons' school offers both a before school and afterschool child care center for working parents. I believe its open from 6-6:30. So they are out there. Contact your school district's office to find out if you're near a school that offers the service. Schools in our district that do not offer busing for students who need it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Some of the schools in my area do this, but only for the children that attend the school. I've never heard of one that would also care for a younger child. That would mean they were really running a day care, and I sure don't want my tax dollars spent on that. You'll just have to do what other moms in this same situation have to do. Drive the little one to day car then the older to school, if you school does it. Many day care in my area also have before school and after school care for school age children as well as all day for younger ones. That might work out better for you.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Where I live there are daycares that do before and after school care in addition to full-day daycare. They have a bus that picks up and drops off at the elementary school. We also have afterscool care at the elementaries available through the YWCA.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Depends on your district and if you are in a private or public school. Our public schools offer AM tutoring, but the child has to qualify for that. The private school where I taught allowed kids in as early as 7:15 for breakfast and did not charge extra. We also had an afterschool program that was open until 5:30.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• In my school you can drop your school aged child off at 7 AM but no one else. Yes, it is hard trying to fnd someone to do both kids. I have a hard time doing 1- 9 yr old at 6 AM and only for 2 hours is all I need someone for
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Our elementary schools all have a before and after program. Some are run by the schools. Others are run by independents that work through the county but located at the school. The problem is, these programs are for the school-aged children only. You would still need to locate a daycare for your 2yo. I've not heard of a school program that took toddlers at all.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2011