Is honey during breastfeeding harmful?

Is honey during breastfeeding harmful to the baby?

sexyfancyface

Asked by sexyfancyface at 4:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know you do not give honey to them, they have to be a year old is what I was told.
    Anonymous

• I would call a doctor just to get the correct answer, because I'm unsure of this
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• i had read the same thing, no honey before a year old not sure why, but didn't want to risk it. i would talk to your dr. first.
    hollieshobbie

Answer by hollieshobbie at 4:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure it's fine, and actually the more variety you eat while nursing the better. Of course, no honey given directly to the baby before one year though, as the others have said.

If I'm wrong here please correct me, but I know I ate honey while pregnant and while nursing.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• No.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I forgot to add it is not pasteurized.
    Anonymous

• Is it safe to eat honey while I am breastfeeding my 3-month-old?
    The danger associated with honey and infants comes from the risk of the honey being contaminated with the botulism bacteria, which produces a deadly poison in the intestine of the infant. According to Thomas Hale, PhD, author of Medications and Mothers' Milk 2000, neither the bacteria nor the poison itself is secreted into breastmilk. This would seem to indicate that honey a nursing mother eats should not pose a problem to her breastfeeding infant."
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Honey is fine for Mom to ingest. None for babies because it can contain botulism spores that our systems handle without a problem. Infants immune systems are too underdeveloped to handle these spores.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• It's fine for nursing moms to eat honey. The warning against honey has to do with infants under twelve months consuming honey directly because apparently some honey can contain botulism spores that adult systems can handle but that can make babies extremely sick. Spores don't pass through the milk, so it's no a risk if the mom eats the honey. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• YOU eating honey is fine. YOUR BABY eating honey is not. Your body would kill any botulism spores if they were in the honey. If you want to be extra careful just make sure the honey you buy doesn't say "raw" on the container.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011