Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need to file my taxes if my only income for the year was in child support?


Asked by staciandababy at 4:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 38 (102,010 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • No.

    Answer by genagina at 4:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • i dont think so. i stay at home but my husband works and his income is all we file on our tax return. however, since my ex owes so much in backpay, his entire refund goes to me :) haha!

    Answer by tnm786 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • No.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • i think you do
    even if my income is not taxable, i always file
    do not want a surprise of "you did not file in 2010 letter from IRS"
    but i am most likely wrong
    make a quick call to H and R block or something like that, you should ask a tax person
    should be easy question for them
    also, i have called IRS and did speak to a person about taxes one year, i did not even have to be on holf forever (maybe i was just lucky on that part)

    Answer by fiatpax at 5:07 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • H and R block says this on their site
    Child support isn't deductible by the payer, and it's not income to the payee.


    Answer by genagina at 5:12 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • tnm, I'm getting my ex's this year too, kinda of exciting to get 2 tax checks!

    Answer by genagina at 5:13 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Do I have to pay tax on child support payments I received?

    No, you don't have to report child support payments received on your tax return. Child support payments are neither taxable to the recipient on his/her tax return, nor tax deductible by the payer on his/her tax return. Any alimony payments that include an element of child support payments are not taxable on your tax return as to the child support payments element.

    Answer by musicmom08 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • No, I haven't in 4 years.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • Call the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

  • No. But it might be worth it to file anyway just so you have a record for that year.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2011