Weaning baby off bottle and pacifier

anyone have any genius ways to wean a baby off a bottle and pacifier? And I don't really care to hear from people who don't agree with pacifiers k

edensgarden101

Asked by edensgarden101 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I would do one at a time. They are both comforting to them. This is what I did. Good Luck.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• with pacifiers - i would start only giving it to them when they sleep. my 11 month old only uses hers at bedtime and naptimes. she doesn't even want it any other time during the day. when she turns 1 year ill start gradually taking it away from her at naptime, then bedtime. with the bottle, start offering the sippy cup more often. she doesn't even take the bottle at all anymore. she drinks everything from her sippy cup! she's my 3rd and it's kind of a nice feeling knowing i dont have to make bottles anymore :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• DS never took either, but I did have to deal with DD and the paci. We did it over a VERY long period of time. We started at 18 mos, limiting its use. She was only allowed to have it when she was resting. WHERE she was didn't matter, as long as she was resting. At about 24 mos, she was only allowed to have it for SLEEPING, not just resting. Shortly after, it's use was limited to bed. If she was resting or sleeping on the couch, she could not use it. Between about 3 and 3 1/2, we took it one step further, and she was only allowed to use it in HER bed. It remained in HER bed at all times, and if she woke at night, or in the early morning and came to MY bed, the paci could not come with her. Finally, I told her that when she was ready, she could leave it under her pillow for the binky fairy, and she would get a treat in return, and we would also take her to get her ears pierced, which she'd been BEGGING for since about
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• 2 yrs old, even knowing what was involved (needle, pain, etc). Since it was a big girl privilege, once she gave up the paci and became a big girl, she would be allowed to get pierced. This plan worked for us, BUT, it wasn't fast. I knew going into it that it would be a long process, doing it this way.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Oh, she gave it up about a month before her 4th birthday. Yes, I'm aware that many will disagree with someone that age still using one, but we did what worked for us.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well, my daughter didn't like pacifiers much, so I didn't have that problem with her. But when I was taking her off the bottle.. I just took them away and only gave her sippy cups. She was only upset at first but then she was very excited. For my son.. he's weaned himself off the pacifier (you could say). It was probably because one day we had to go to the hospital for an ultrasound. Well, to calm him down the lady gave me some sugar-free syrup to dip the pacifier in. Well since then he hasn't wanted the pacifier.
    wolverinemama

Answer by wolverinemama at 8:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• To be honest I didn't give my kids a pacifier because of tht same reason but when it comes to the bottle give he/she a sippy cup everyday all day til bed time and make sure it lights up or just have alot of colors thts what I did and it worked good luck
    isabella8287

Answer by isabella8287 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2011

• with my son at a year old we just tookk the bottle away... good luck
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 9:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2011